Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been to the site, in need of opinions. I know opinions are like.. and everyone has one. I've come into money and want to build something wild. I originally wanted to install the new supercharged 6.2L LT5 in my '96 Caprice, after taking a 140 mile trip in a clapped-out 95 Fleetwood Brougham, thought it might make a better candidate because it was so much quieter and comfortable. If I did decide to do the conversion I would have to come up with rustless Cadillac here in AK, which is impossible. I'm not concerned with seating, center console, things of that nature. I would go with something modern. Is it possible to make these Fleetwood's hold their own in corners and what not and still provide the velvety ride Caddy has on road trips? Has anyone replaced OEM gauge clusters to something more modern? Since I have done little research on up grading the audio system, can the '94-'96 audio systems be upgraded to modern GPS and still control factory features? Last is the engine itself, I want to be able to row my own gears, yes I'm aware the auto equipped cars are quicker. I mean who would not want to row gears in full size Caddy? I admit I know nothing about '94-'96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, have own & modified many B-body Caprice & SS. The Cadillac is sooooo much quieter and makes touring so much better, Definitely not worn out after 6 to 8 hour drive. Anyone ever done a LT conversion and run into problems a B-body Caprice/SS would not have? Sorry about rambling on, trying to get the info off my brain, for sure I'm forgetting questions.
Thank you, Casey

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
A FW D- is the same car as your Caprice, but 5 1/2" longer w.b. and several $thousands more poured in to options for brand differentiation (ex: fiber optic light indicators) and heightened customer convenience (ex: heated seats, more sound deadening as you mention). Where nearly every B- with any performance upfits also gets attention paid to the suspension, it's even more mandatory considering the wimpy FE1 components under a D-. All deference to floaty ride, it's a wallowing pig moving in all directions without strategic upgrades for improved safety and to match power adders.

D- ABS is a 4-channel Bosch setup with rudimentary Traction Control (including dreaded Throttle Relaxer). The car has Central Convenience Module controlling certain items in a more complicated manner than the other divisions, and be mindful the half the radio in a '94/5 is in the trunk. EVERYTHING in the car is the same quarter-century old technology, so will be interested myself to hear any others who've replaced the guts of the head unit with today's tech. Otherwise, you may want to search the Nexus 7 mod.

Several guys have done D-body 6-sp., and it does not seem difficult. And no, I prefer no 3rd pedal all the time, but certainly 'over'use the gears for braking whenever possible. I am not aware of any current gen LT- swaps for a FW on here yet, but all the parts are in generally the same place as a B-body, just a LOT more room under the hood.

There is literally a workaround or replacement for everything unneeded or unwanted along the path of 'improving' on a FW. Aside from the dam noisy AstroRoof and some new door seals my setup is about perfect for my taste, whether playing with turns around town or on a comfortable 5 or 10-hour roadtrip with the wife.

You should look into Tow Package option with mech. fan cooling and special tranny calibration, and the 'livery' option with no ABS/TC and bigger brakes. Either may give you a stouter platform for serious drivetrain mods.

Oh and ps: Ditch PB and do Imgur FTW

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you've come into money, find a rust-free Fleetwood from a non-salty state, you can afford to get one delivered to you.

If by 'modern', you mean 'newer', I guess I get it (?), but there are not that many 'newer' features that are truly impressive.
This free app on my 6year old phone called Waze has prevented me from getting pulled over for so-called 'speeding' 11 times in January of this year already. Tough to beat as a GPS too.

On the other hand, the 6L80, 8L80, and 10L80 are very impressive transmissions, although the 8L80 needs a lil bit of help to cure 2nd gear shudders.
If you prefer a manual transmission, the modern BorgWarner T56, is the Tremec TR6060. The TR6060 can handle much more torque regardless of ratios, of which there are more than six to choose from.

It's already been pointed out that Cadillac Fleetwoods are Chevy Caprices that are 12 inches longer.
'Police Package'- or 'Impala SS'-type steering, springs, shocks and swaybars will go a very long way; I'm sure you can think of how to improve on those to your taste.
However, most people woefully underestimate how important it is to box the frame, add a tow hitch, and weld in something to connect the front frame horns; search ISSF member 'scot' for more about this kinda stuff.

So far as the brakes go, if you've enough money for a supercharged Gen 5 V8 (direct injection is NOT superior to port injection!), you've enough to meaningfully upgrade the brakes well beyond the Astrafari minivan's brake rotors, the limo's non-ABS brake rotors, etc.
Also, polyGRAPHITE bushings are much quieter, mere polyurethane squeaks.

Yes, V4Ps are far and away the best Fleetwoods, much rarer than Impalas SS, about as rare as Caprices SS.
If you can't find a V4P, though, it's not like you can't change the rear axle ratio to 3.42 or 3.73 and rebuild the 4L60E to a much higher standard.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info fellas, need to do more thinking whether or not to go with the Cadillac or use my current '96 9C1 with 56K miles. The road trip in that clapped out Cadillac was night & day difference compared to my 9C1. I'm not sure if it's possible to add enough insulation to my car to come close to the Cadillac quiet. That's the only reason I was thinking of going with one. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Fuzzcar did quite a job on his Caprice. He said he liked the quiet ride and the temp difference. He seemed more than pleased before the "crash" in his yard. Sound deadening 96 Impala SS

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don’t those Fleetwood have the 9.5” 10-bolt rear ends? Agree a good set of gears goes a long way.

threepedals.com and bigfastcar.com have 6-speed conversion kits if you’ve come into some REAL money $$$. I’m running a 383 LT4 stroker. I rebuilt/upgraded my 96 4L60e w/ shift kit (5-planetary gear pinion set ups, stronger sunshield, etc ...), 2800 stall precision converter. Ratchet shift that bitch manually when playing! Ride cruise control in overdrive on the highway.

I wonder if the Monroe severe duty HD shocks would stiffen up the ride.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts

I wonder if the Monroe severe duty HD shocks would stiffen up the ride.
Yes, they will. They have noticeably firmer compression that oem replacements. Bilstein (2 models avail.) are also a popular choice option.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Don’t those Fleetwoods have 9.5” 10-bolt rear ends?
93 Fleetwoods V4P (L05 V8) came with 3.73. 94-96 Fleetwoods V4P (LT1 V8) came with 3.42.
Both came with the 8.5" rear axle assembly, like most Fleetwoods available for private use.

Only Fleetwoods that came with a 9.5" rear axle assembly were intended for more commercial uses:
B9Q Hearse (not all of them)
V4U Limousine (not all of them)
B05 Armour (ALL of them)

If it came with ABS, it has an 8.5" rear axle. If it did NOT come with ABS, it has a 9.5" rear axle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts