Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you haven’t seen the installation of a 9C1 external engine oil cooler before, here is my experience and pics.

The Good (pics below)
I found a used unit online, complete with hard lines and bracket. And, Dorman sells the correct hose assembly to fit the external cooler (longer lines and different fittings than for the in-radiator oil cooler).

It took most of a day, but I got it in and it works great. The slowest part was carefully re-bending the slightly out-of-kilter tubes to fit around the radiator into the engine compartment, and adjusting/tightening the retaining bracket in there. Wrench Hell. It would be easier on cars without the radiator oil cooler—they have a smaller driver-side end tank.

Removing the old hoses underneath is always a drag because of all the wiring (knock, oil level, and O2 sensors).

After running the engine and checking for leaks (none so far), I added about a half-quart to bring the oil to full. It’ll be interesting to measure the inlet/outlet temperatures after a normal drive.

The Bad (pics below)
Dorman’s made-in-China hose assembly is disappointing. The only differences in the 9C1 version are the rubber length and the cooler fittings. Dorman could have made something that would make customers happy, something that WASN’T sh*tty and untrustworthy, but they didn’t. Soft, low-grade aluminum. Dubious bubble crimps. Misplaced and malformed front bracket for the oil-pan corner stud (but at least it was soft and easy to move and re-shape). Unusable (and sh*tty) one-piece aluminum gasket for the engine end.

The Ugly (too embarrassing for pics)
I pulled a Homer by using a Dremel to make a little wiggle room for the cooler hard lines. I cut off a small metal tab that protruded from the side of the AC condenser (you know where this is going). Of course, I nicked a condenser tube. Refrigerant hissed out for almost ten minutes. There are junkyard condensers 30 minutes away, but I rebuilt the whole AC system maybe three years ago. Oh, well, I know the drill.

Definitely on the bright side, though, the external cooler works.

Pics

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Been running the 9C1 cooler on my SS for 23 years. The 9C1 radiator had a curved DS tank so the lines fit easier around it but they also fit around a standard, or aftermarket aluminum radiator
FSR bolt 2.JPG

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
I took some funny keybourding but I finally got to steal your 'straightshank box open' for posterity. I can picture a little cheater slipped over the whole thing too.

Great write-up with v. helpful hacks. It makes the '9C1 PS Cooler Lines' look like a cakewalk that I recently added to my WX3.

(QUOTE="MWP, post: 12124872, member: 45877")
"Work with what you've got, I guess."
(/Quote)

Mr. Mom: "120, 121; whatever it takes". (y)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr. Mom: "120, 121; whatever it takes". (y)
Now that is funny.

There oughta be a photo book about make-do tools. Not cinder-block jackstands, but functional gadgets.

Like others have done, a friend and I once built a bigger slide hammer with a 10 or 20 lb barbell weight on the rod from a small hammer. Our innovation was a No Parking sign (steel--and stolen) folded, drilled and bolted to the rod as a stop for the weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts