Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!!
My kdws are seeing some SERIOUS wear to the outside edge on the fronts from the last 2 autocrosses. I got 3rd last week out of 12 in F-stock. I installed new bushings & ball joints last month. I installed Hal shocks on the rear before the run last sunday (11 clicks.) The inside edge of the fronts has no wear while the outside will cord in 2 more events. Will alot more neg. camber be to hard to drive on the street while helping this problem at the track? Or is it feasable to add shims to increase camber at the track?
I don't have race tires yet, but this would kill them quick! I'm running 40 psi front & rear. The wear was ok at the march run @ 40, but this time they rolled a litle more just over the edge on front. I guess the shocks helped me carry more speed & 40 psi wasn't enough.? I had just rotated these tires to the front in march & it is a weekend driver so the street isn't doing it. Should I have these tires flipped on the rims to get the good edge to the outside. I was hoping to run all 9 events this year, but at this rate they will not last. Next run is in 3 weeks. I'm trying to win so I drive it hard. Any suggestions?!
95 SS, stock W/ 255-55-17 kdws w/ low mileage, borla, Hal's on the rear.
Thanks a lot,
Babyhauler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What negative camber to you have now? For AutoX tire wear, I'd be looking to be set up around -1 degree or so.

Also sounds like more air is needed in front. You may have to enter corners a little slower (but probably faster out) to compensate.

Finally, put good shocks on the front as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are pushing (understeering) too much and as a consequence you're rolling and sliding the front tires. Like Ed said, put some better shocks on the front and maybe go a little slower into the turns and get on the gas faster out of the turns. Ed will attest to this, I've got about two full seasons including slush on my RE730's (285's). The shoulders are low but not to the point of seeing the steel belts. I run 46 in front and 35 in the rear. My suspension is stock except for F-body front bar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.