Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get a new set? Or should I just go buy some grade 8 bolts of the correct length?

...auto parts store didn't have them.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Hoo boy there was a long thread on this discussing the use of Stainless Vs. Grade-8, Vs. ARP bolts. I can't seem to find it (the thread) in my subscription list.

For manifolds I would choose to use the ARP bolts.

If ya can't find the thread in a search, I'll check when I get home from work, and see what I can dig up on my PC.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Where is the best place to get a new set? Or should I just go buy some grade 8 bolts of the correct length?

...auto parts store didn't have them.
Do you have OEM manifolds? I see Tri-y's listed in your sig. For tri-Y's, ARP's or locking header bolts are commonly used and purchased through Summit or Jeg's. For manifold bolts, you can get good replacements through fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc...

There are recent threads about manifold bolts you might want to run a search on. Stainless vs. carbon steel and things like that.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys...yeah my wagon info is listed in the sig.

might be picking up a 9c1 in the next couple days though.

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have no idea why you guys are having such issues with the stock bolts.
My Drivers side exhaust manifold cracked, and my mechanic replaced the manifold and never broke a stock bolt off, and reinstalled them because they were solid. My car is a Northern WISCONSIN (Rust) car, and its got 140,000 miles on it.

The factory bolts can't be as bad as most say they are.....

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
IDK...If "most" say they're that bad, then it may be true. ;)

My personal experience: Of the 3 LT1s I've pulled manifolds off, at least 1 bolt snapped on each. And that was being careful, and having soaked them in PB Blaster or equivalent penetrating oil. :(

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well Deadman I have had 3 95 Caprice over the years. My first one had the rear most driver side exhaust bolt broken off when I got it at 78K miles back in 1999 and that was I believe a Rockford, IL car, but wasn't an issue as I threw a set of SLP headers onto the car which use a different rearward bolt. Both my 2nd and 3rd Caprices were somewhat southern(Forsyth Co North Carolina) and somewhere in Florida but bought from a guy in Concord, NC and both had driver side bolt 5 broke off and the current one I have also had the head to the rearmost passenger side bolt broken off. Part of the issue is they are grade 5 bolts another part of the issue is the bolts have a tendency to loosen over time and unless that is managed and the bolts are retightened regularly they have a tendency to break off. - Peter

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
It not about them snapping when you try to remove them. They snap on their own.

Every single one of my LT1 cars, sheared off atleast one bolt before I got to it. I never snapped one myself, but I always do loosen the bolts with the engine hot. The bolts just shear, and snap on their own. My 94 9C1, 3 were broken off flush in the head. My 94 Blue 9C1, 2 were broken off flush, and 2 had popped the head off. The one that popped the head off, came out very easy with visegrips. So I don't think somebody snapped it by trying to pull it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ya know, speaking of the bolts breaking, my dads 94 RMS had to have one manifold replaced because numerous bolts broke off and it was leaking.

Weird that this 96 RMW has rock solid bolts, and none broken after 140,000 miles, and replacing the manifold this summer, and then the 94 RMS had a bunch of broken bolts at around 120,000 miles. The only difference was that the 94 RMS was originally a Florida car, so maybe the extreme heat affected them somehow?........

Or was my Mechanic just that careful? lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts