Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has happened to nearly everyone here. You take your car to a shop that custom bends exhaust systems. When you schedule your appointment, they tell you:

"Oh yeah, for $275 we can do WHATEVER you want, we'll make new pipes, install your x-pipe, welded mufflers, new tailpipes, no problem!"

Then, when the car is on the rack, they call and say "...well, your pipes are stainless, you dont need the x-pipe if you are not racing, my tubing bender doesnt like to make those tight bends for the tailpipes, there is no aftermarket parts for your old car, blah blah blah..."

So, I am ending up with new mufflers and new cats, as the old ones were shot anyway. But I STILL have the 2" tailpipes with resonators. I think I will just do that part myself.

Let me clarify. I did not expect to get an entire system, with cats, for $275. What I did expect was a 2-1/4" cat-back system, with mufflers and tailpipes, with my x-pipe, for $275.

Thanks for letting me vent!!

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
You could buy all the parts you need to bolt in a 2.5" mandrel bent catback for less than that from Dynomax.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
My fault, didn't notice it was the wagon section. They'll work for over the axle then you could do side exit but won't clear the gas tank or spare wheel well. The pypes x pipe or dynomax intermediate pipes will fit but you'll just need a piece of scrap to extend and push the mufflers back a little more. When I had a wagon I just dumped it before the axle.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Well, thanks for that reply. Will those tailpipes work on a wagon?
I used the Dynomax 2.5 Frankeinstien kit on my wagon. On mine I dumped them right after the rear wheels on a side exit.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Yeah that's the easiest way to do it, I think I spent less than $200 in parts and used Magnaflows too, sounded badass.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Dynomax Intermediates pipes are cheap from most anywhere online (got mine from Summit) and fit perfectly.

Just pretend there are Cats in this picture.....

The Dynomax tails are listed on the Advance Auto Website, getting them from Summit requires paying a large premium for special shipping. Special is nothing more but a sticker stuck to the bare pipe before it gets tossed onto the truck.

I bought Thrush Welded Mufflers and dumped them before the axle. Total cost was a little over $100 including welding at a shop. I did everything else in my driveway.

90% of the exhaust shops in the country are just out to make money from suckers.

Keep searching for one that cares about the Customer.

·
Registered
797 Posts
thats why I always hang around the shop while my car is being done its alot harder for them the sell you BS in person took my car in once with a leaking flange they called me tried to say I had a cracked manifold and wanted $525 to fix the problem I picked my car up drove it down the street and had another guy replace the flange for $25

·
Registered
346 Posts
I bet they pocket that money instead of putting it in the register when they say third ridiculous prices for those 1/2 hr jobs.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
thats why I always hang around the shop while my car is being done its alot harder for them the sell you BS in person took my car in once with a leaking flange they called me tried to say I had a cracked manifold and wanted $525 to fix the problem I picked my car up drove it down the street and had another guy replace the flange for $25

exactly!

·
Registered
511 Posts
My method is bring in a case of Labatt's Blues and get what I want done after the shop closes, and one of the boys wants to make an extra hundred bucks.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here. You are bound to be able to find a shop where the guys are willing to work "off the books." Keep in mind that means there is no record, no receipt, and no warranty.

Additionally, the welding occurred after a long day and three beers, so don't expect car show quality.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Glad to have a trustworthy shop around here that has worked on a few of our vehicles.

When they did my exhaust I even got under there and helped them out myself.

Family owned business that loves to keep their customers happy

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have 2.5 inch exhaust all the way back. It sounds like you need to find a different shop. The shop that did mine said the tailpipes were not fun though.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I know a really good exhaust guy in the bay area, If anyone needs his info let me know!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After talking with the shop owner, I brought my 2-1/4" tailpipes from my last Grand Marquis to him and asked him to modify them to fit, and exit behind the rear tires. He agreed to try. I then lamented that I was disappointed he wasnt going to be able to do everything I wanted.

That must have worked on him, because an hour later I got a call and suddenly he is going to make new pipes, install my x-pipe and miraculously found a pair of tailpipes that will work!

After the long holiday weekend, I got the car back. It is completely new, from the Catco cats to the tailpipes bent correctly, modified, and exiting out back like a sedan. The welds are beautiful! I asked for the old parts, and found the passenger side pipe is FLAT on top where it goes under the trans crossmember! The tailpipes and resonators are in good shape, despite being only 2", but I will save them for another project.

I am embarassed to say I paid $800 for all this, but lots of labour, and I had them swap the rotted gas tank straps to the perfect Florida ones I got from Fred Keihl last year.

I realise I could have probably done this myself at home, but my problem is TIME. Between kids, school, work, scrap hauling, landlording, helping the GF with the funeral home, etc, It was worth paying someone to get it done right!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I asked for the old parts, and found the passenger side pipe is FLAT on top where it goes under the trans crossmember!
Yup, funny that they would do that isn't it. Most everyone thinks the mufflers are the problem. The entire factory exhaust setup is restrictive garbage for the most part.

You paid a lot, but no one should fault you, not everyone has the time and patience to do exhaust work in the driveway :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts