Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change out my expansion tank and P/S reservior and need to know if i need a 1.5 qt or 2 qt expansion tank and if i change the P/S res. do i need to bleed the system like on older P/S pumps?
Im thinking these 2

Power steering

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Somebody has to know the answer to this, i know a couple of you have done this

·
Registered
288 Posts
well im doing the same thing. Trying to get my car ready for the road course next summer. I did some rough calculations. The expansion tank needs to hold about 1 gallon and the ps reservoir needs about 40 fluid oz. Hope the experts agree and remember these are rough calculations

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
my $.02 is to start with a cooler cwm7

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has one but im not sure what size it is, ill just go with the bigger one i guess

·
Registered
407 Posts
I asked the same question on the coolant tank and Jeff Green replied that about 1 gallon is what is needed. A 2qt. tank might not be big enough to keep the system full and have enough head room to allow for expansion without loosing coolant when the engine gets hot.

On the P/S, if you are just swapping the reservior you shouldn't have to bleed it as long as you dont let too much fluid run out of the lines. In any case, P/S systems are pretty much self bleeding anyway: just turn the wheel lock to lock until the steering operates normally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts