Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find out if I'm getting ripped off here or not. I've ordered a transmission and fluids and they are getting shipped out.

I don't have the knowledge or tools to do the swap myself so was going to have a shop do it. I am getting quoted between 600-700 so far. Is that right? Does it actually cost that much to take out one transmission, replace the other?

·
Super Moderator
7,840 Posts
Carl,
My shop charges 375 for a transmission R and R on our cars. 5 hours is about what the book time is for these units to be replaced.

We charge right at 75 an hour. WIth that being said, most of the time i charge less than that because we do it so much we can do it in much less time.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I can have em out in the right conditoins in 30 minutes or less.
I done one on my roadmaster in & out in 65 minutes with vehicle ready to roll.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

Tell me your using a 2 post lift? THAT is really quick!

·
Super Moderator
7,840 Posts

Yes but he was asking how much to expect to pay. When someone comes into where you work, do you only flag 1 hour of labor because you are super tech? Or do you charge the book rate?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm in southeast michigan. If you are interested you bring booze, & whores & you can watch me wrench on my "386" stroker.

If someone was to call for a price on labor I would tell them $300.00. The reason being is I might have more about three hours of total labor into the job & have to pay a tech's wages & who know what kind of mess you can get into if you do not know the car.
I have had bell-housing bolts get seized before & the trans & engine won't seperate without some major help.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm trying to find out if I'm getting ripped off here or not. I've ordered a transmission and fluids and they are getting shipped out.

I don't have the knowledge or tools to do the swap myself so was going to have a shop do it. I am getting quoted between 600-700 so far. Is that right? Does it actually cost that much to take out one transmission, replace the other?
That is double what I paid

·
Registered
932 Posts
I paid $400 (swap tranny, install new converter, all fluids)

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
In the glove box of my 95 9C1, I found a recipt for when he had the trans swapped with a unit he had rebuilt on the side. It cost him about $300-$350 total, for the swap. This was in Chicago are, which I would think would be higher than some other rural areas.

If I did one, I would charge around $200-250. Rust belt cars SUCK, and I don't care for air tools. So it takes me a little longer than others.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
In the glove box of my 95 9C1, I found a recipt for when he had the trans swapped with a unit he had rebuilt on the side. It cost him about $300-$350 total, for the swap. This was in Chicago are, which I would think would be higher than some other rural areas.

If I did one, I would charge around $200-250. Rust belt cars SUCK, and I don't care for air tools. So it takes me a little longer than others.

x2 i hate air tools so takes me longer then a hour.

ive done a couple 4l60E swaps never charged person more then 200 bucks just to easy.at 600-700 i would buy a new tool set,jack,jack stands and learn to do it myself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't mind trying to learn it myself....although since I'm going to a non-stock transmission and an 1800-2000RPM stall do I need to have the PCM reprogrammed as well?

·
Registered
8,637 Posts
If the valvebody in the trans has been modified, it would be wise to use a stock trans line pressure command trable in the PCM. It could be adjusted a little bit in some areas, but you don't want to send the pressure through the roof, and then run the risk of cracking things. Most builders suggest a stock trans pressure table.

1800-2000 is not much higher than the 1400 stock. That is pretty much an S-10/Vette converter in a B-body. You should really not need any tuning for it. I highly doubt you will have "Stall Wall", with that tiny increase.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I jhad a national chain "Cottman transmisson" do my R&R for a built trans I bought.

They charged a set price they had listed for the my car.

I think it was $275 plus fuldis and the tech who did it told me it only took about 30 min to get it out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If the valvebody in the trans has been modified, it would be wise to use a stock trans line pressure command trable in the PCM. It could be adjusted a little bit in some areas, but you don't want to send the pressure through the roof, and then run the risk of cracking things. Most builders suggest a stock trans pressure table.

1800-2000 is not much higher than the 1400 stock. That is pretty much an S-10/Vette converter in a B-body. You should really not need any tuning for it. I highly doubt you will have "Stall Wall", with that tiny increase.
what is stall wall

·
Registered
1 Posts
Carl,
My shop charges 375 for a transmission R and R on our cars. 5 hours is about what the book time is for these units to be replaced.

We charge right at 75 an hour. WIth that being said, most of the time i charge less than that because we do it so much we can do it in much less time.
Where are you located

1 - 17 of 17 Posts