Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You'll be out of spec (as in, under minimum) for driveshaft yoke engagement into the tranny.

Will it explode the first time you move the car? Nope

Would I drive it HARD for any length of time set up like that though? Once again, nope.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
You'll be out of spec (as in, under minimum) for driveshaft yoke engagement into the tranny.

Will it explode the first time you move the car? Nope

Would I drive it HARD for any length of time set up like that though? Once again, nope.
How hard? Stock motor/rearend; You'll be fine... Stroker, extensive bolt-ons, or heads/cam - you're asking for trouble. (My opinion is based on past experiences, but NOT with an Impala.) I'm sure others will chime in to prove/negate my opinion!

-Chip

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the J&M 3/4" extended control arms, top and bottom. When I installed them a few years ago I did not switch to a longer driveshaft. rolled along for about 4k, then it happened on the way home from my first Rodorama in Reno. Tailshaft bushing gave out and tranny oil spewed out the back. Clutch packs, 3/2 bands, sunshell shot. Luckily, the new TC was saved with not too many little metal flakes floating around in there. If you ask me, save yourself A LOT of headache and $$ and buy the longer driveshaft. I hear Denny's are very good. I bought a Dynotech MMC through Mike at NoLimits. Have had no issues with it, but I understand others have had problems with its balance at higher rpm's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you ask me, save yourself A LOT of headache and $$ and buy the longer driveshaft. I hear Denny's are very good. I bought a Dynotech MMC through Mike at NoLimits. Have had no issues with it, but I understand others have had problems with its balance at higher rpm's.
[/QB]
Hmm Why did you lose Tranny Fluid?

BTW..who makes the Best and who makes the Least Expensive? Need to know what ranges and quality is out in the market.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the tailshaft bushing goes the seal will get destroyed FAST, hence the fluid lose. On the lowend you would be looking at an Inland Empire probably about $350, best will be a carbon fiber at twice that cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My tailshaft bearing was bad in my transmission as well after driving about 10,000 miles. I would NOT leave it like this for long. Some people have been lucky and have had no apparent problems but I know mine was worn out pretty good. Ended up with a transmission rebuild that had parts that had to be replaced that normally would not have to have been.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.