Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my F-Body Sway bar tuesday....and today when i parked with the wheel turned to the side i noticed the bar resting and had been rubbing on the frame while in turns...Did i not tighten the end links tight enough?!?!? or does it take some time for it to sit correctly...Let me add i did not have a Torque wrench handy....And i will like to replace the bushings they make to much noise :rolleyes: ...I want to upgrade to the greasable bushings from Summit Raceing...i do not know wich size to get??...Anyone have any suggestions on what else i should get??? different end links?!?!? just for the record i ordered my bar From NPD if tha helps any....

Ssebastiano

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Try flipping the bar over. I know, I did it. Put the bar on and the front end sat really high and was very bouncy. Pulled the bar off, flipped it over and all the problems went away.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm know what that thought came to me today....I guess its real easy to put it upside down cause of the shape of the bar...Ima switch it sunday thanks for your opinions!

Ssebastiano

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I felt like a real dumba$$ when I put it on upside down. Only took 10 minutes to remove it and reinstall.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually had a CHEVY tech tell me that my f-body bar couldn't be installed because it hits the frame. Gave me the car back with the bar in the trunk. I asked him "are you sure it wasn't upside down?" ~ his response ~ "of course I'm sure!"

Brought the bar home and installed it myself (of course it fit just fine). :rolleyes:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Checked the bar today and it doesnt look upside down at all ( lays flat then swoops down to the endlinks)....Could it maybe be the Endlinks being to long?!?!?...I used the ones that came with the bar from NPD....

Ssebastiano

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anybody post a side shot of an F-body bar installed correctly (i.e., looking at it from the wheel well) or any other shot that shows what a correctly installed F-body bar looks like? I was pretty sure I had mine on correctly, but now you guys have got me all confused. ;) Plus, I've been having a kind of wierd problem with my bar. It wants to pull the bushing away from the frame on the driver's side. Who knows? Maybe I screwed it up. It wouldn't be the first time. Thanks.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Erik,

I think i might know what u talking about...U mean like the bushing isnt sittin correctly?? i put mine on right but it doesnt wanna sit like its suposed too :confused: ..........Should i go with different type of ENDLINKS??

ssebastiano

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to install mine just fine. The bushings snugged up to the frame and it fits on the endlinks just fine. But after a little while of driving, I noticed that the metal shell for the driver's side bushing was bending and pulling away from the frame and the bushing was loosening up. For some reason, my swaybar is really stressing the driver's side bushing. That makes me wonder if, maybe, I installed it incorrectly. Mine also rubs against the frame a bit, but I think it's only doing that when I really push it (which I do from time to time).

I don't think going to different endlinks would help the problem you described with your bushing(s). It sounds like maybe the metal part of the bushings got bent, same as mine. I hit it with a mallet to flatten it back out and snugged it up again, but it bent again too. You might try that and see if it helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn get a chance to compare endlinks to the stck ones cause they littewral broke off they were so rusted...so cant tell if they were shorter or longer?!?!? i would wanna switch bushings cause they make to much dayum noise (crunch...squeek,,crunch,,,,squeek
)lol....Just one quick question....when i parked and had my wheel turned all the way to the side is the endlink suposed to be leaning forward with the wheel turned outwards?!?!?!

Ssebastiano

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I want to say yes, but I'll have to go take a look at mine to be sure (and that assumes mine is right). Anybody else?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Listen Guys. If your sway bar is contacting the frame at the point where it curves toward the rear, it is on upside down. Trust me on this one. I did the same thing on my wagon and it looked correct. I then compared it to my Impala that was sitting right beside the wagon. 10 minutes to flip it over and all was good.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeez 'o-pete!!! I jsut ordered an F-body bar this weekend from NDP. I'm glad to hear that they DO work...I was going to cancel my order!!! Holy guacamole!

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Without posting pictures, if you look at the bar as though it were a set of bulls horns, there should be no question as to how they go on. The cross part of the bar that mounts to the frame should be lower than the end link connections. The bar should bend upwards toward the end link ends.Hope this clears things up a little.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if u saying the ends should pont upwards then it is upside down
....ima flip it then see to be sure....

ssebastiano

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what I thought, and that's the way mine's set up. I do get some rubbing on the frame though. But, my original bar has some wear marks in the same location, so I think SOME rubbing is normal. This thing with the bushing pulling away from the frame is a major PITA, though. Right now I'm using the aftermarket bushings and endlinks that came with my bar. I'm going to switch to the recommended F-body bushings and endlinks and see if that makes a difference. (Sebastiano, these may differ somewhat from the parts that came with your bar, but I think, if your bar is on upside down, you'll find that that's your problem there. Lot's of people are running the NPD bar with no problem and I would expect that they are using the bushings and endlinks that came with it.) Marlon, you may want to contact 95 Wagon and see what he says about the F-body bar. He fabricated a neat bracket that repositions it slightly to address fitment/geometry problems he was having. Overall, though, I haven't heard of too many other people having problems with that bar.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I too have a rubbing with a STOCK bar, but my car is pretty low, i cut front springs by 1.75 coils. Also i know for a fact that when i bought end links from pep-boys, they were a bit longer, maybe 1/2in.
So here is the question, can the stock bar be mounted up side down ?
Are the F-body links shorter then stock ?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sebastiano : according to your description, the bar is upside down.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I think I finally resolved my swaybar issue and, wouldn't you know it, it WAS on upside down.
I'm posting this even though it makes me feel like a dumbass in the hope that someone else can benefit from my experience.

sstripes96 was absolutely correct. With the bar on the right way, there's no way it will rub against the frame. The reason it's so easy to put it on wrong is because with the car up on stands and the suspension fully extended, the swaybar doesn't lie like it will with the car on the ground. The ends of the swaybar sit on the endlinks at a pretty severe angle. You have to stop and visualize what the setup will look like with the suspension compressed, otherwise it looks like there's no way it could be on right. I actually put mine on correctly the first time around, way back when, and pulled it back off and turned it over because I was sure it wasn't supposed to look like that. The description posted above of how the bar is supposed to look (ends swooping up towards the endlinks) is correct but it only applies when the car is sitting on the ground. With the suspension fully extended, the ends curve down, somewhat, towards the endlinks and, as I said above, you have to think about how it will look with the suspension compressed to make sure you've got it right. Bottom line is, if you put the bar on and it either rubs against the frame or looks like it's going to, you've got it on upside down. In addition to the rubbing, I had a bent endlink and the metal housing on one of the body/frame isolaters was bent too. I think I've got this resolved now, and I hope this helps someone else.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts