Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot of people talking about the 3.5 F Body MAF. I was just wondering what are the pros and cons of this Mod. Will any other mods need to be done to accommodate this?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....3.5 F Body MAF.....what are the pros and cons of this Mod.....
Pros = Larger diameter makes for more airflow = more power potential

Cons = different calibration tables which requires a PCM tune.

That is all.

KW

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.....your engine probably doesn't flow enough [air] to need the F-body MAF sensor......
That's really not a con, when you look at it.

A 3.5" with a tune ain't gonna help performance (beyond whatever boost the tune gives you).....but it ain't gonna hurt performance or the engine.

You waste the $50 or so that it took to buy the MAF.....but so what?

KW

·
Premium Member
2,705 Posts
I've had this arguement before, even with all the bolt-ons, you won't need the F-body MAF. IMHO, the F-body MAF won't be needed till you start adding better cam and heads ALONG with the bolt-ons.

My 96 had all the bolt-on and when I install the F-body MAF and 52MM TB, it lost power! The car had to be tuned to retrieve the power that was lost.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
.......when I install the F-body MAF and 52MM TB, it lost power! The car had to be tuned to retrieve the power that was lost.
You cannot do a F-body MAF or a 52mm TB without a tune.

Tune is needed to optimized the set-up (the catalyst for your power gains) and in the case of the 52mm TB, the tune is needed to prevent damage to your transmission ;) !

KW

·
Registered
194 Posts
fwiw, I have the Clear Image 3.5" cold air intake, and I had some odd-looking diameter changes hooking that up to the factory 3" MAF.
I used a F-body MAF and program, primarily so the cold air intake would hook up nicer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts