Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if the F-body shifter handle is interchangeable with the shifter handle on an Impala SS. I am asking because the one in my Imp is in bad shape, and I have noticed that the retaining clip appears to be in the same position on the F-body cars. If so, it opens up a wide range of replacement possibilities. If not, I get to scour the internet looking for a direct replacement.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Yes,they interchange. Have an extra dark grey one (not leather) that I'd be willing to part with for $20 shipped (no staple) PayPal only.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the reasons I was asking about interchangeability was because I keep seeing ball shifters with SS on them when I check the image searches for these cars. But I can never find them for sale. I know there are other vendors for F-bodies (as well as other types of handles out there for them), so that opens up the aftermarket world for me if they interchange. So I'll likely either go with a re-wrap from Adrian, or some other replacement from the aftermarket.
Thanks for the offer 1slow96.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Most all '90's era GM shifter knobs interchange. I like this Cadillac knob best.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like that more than the stocker. Subtle me says black ball with SS engraved or a stock replacement. Not so subtle me says B&M pistol grip.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I can tell you that the metal ones get Hot,Hot,Hot....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Another option is the Trailblazer SS Shift knob which has a boot. I have 1 but have yet to install it on my 96 Shifter. I currently have the Impala Knob on there but also had a F-Body Leather wrapped knob from a Z28 I would sell.

It is a push button top and fits right in place on the Impala shifter with no modification at all. Here are pics of the Leather one I have for sale for $35 shipped and it's in great shape. Only pic I have on the shifter is while I was doing some other interior work.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks 4doorSS and 1slow96.
I figured if I was going to a metal one, I would have to have a spare towel or t-shirt in the car at all times, just to keep it cooler than a frying pan.
On the F-body stock shifters, I've got a few of those laying around, both auto's and 6-speeds. The old man has a firehawk ball, a couple cue balls (one black, one white), a Hurst and a couple stockers laying around. (Guy doesn't get rid of anything.) I have a F-body stocker and a 6 speed handle or two laying around myself. The only problem with my F-body stocker is that it isn't in that great of shape either.

Best case scenario for me would be to blend a black SS engraved ball, with a boot (from a TBSS perhaps). And I have seen some of those SS balls available out there for F-bodies, but no luck on ones specifically for the Impala SS. So that's kinda where I'm leaning there.

·
Premium Member
20,291 Posts
..….but also had a F-Body Leather wrapped knob from a Z28 I would sell...….for $35 shipped and it's in great shape......
I know it's been awhile....but you still have this shifter available for sale?

KW

·
Premium Member
20,291 Posts
Floor gear shift handle for '96 Impala

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Message sent to KW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts