Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct, and to directly answer your question Allen : that 98 F-body bar will make a nice functional paperweight in your trunk, but won't do much else on your car
(aka it won't bolt up).

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's only the F-bodies with the 32mm (1.25" ) front bar, I THINK that it is only on the 77-81 Z28 (and optional there) and WS6 Firebird. Other 70-81 F-body front bars should bolt up, but they'll either be the same size or smaller than the stock SS bar (30 mm = 1 1/8" ).

Be aware you can order a new one from Dal for about $60 plus shipping, so don't go too nuts overpaying at the junkyard

Be aware that while bolting on only the new front bar (and keeping the stock rear one) will make the car FEEL better (less "lean" in turns), but will actually make it handle a little WORSE (even more understeer). You really need to match it with a bigger rear bar, and the only ones that are worth it in back are
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>HA rear bar (best and IS available separately, but a PITA to get since Matt Adam's has pretty much defined how NOT to treat your customers)
<LI>SLP (pretty good, not as good as HA but better than Hotchkis....unfortunately NOT available separately, and SLP wants over $600 for their set!)
<LI>Hotchkis (upgrade over stock, not as good as the above two. Unfortunately, also available only as a set for approx $450 or so)
[/list]

Hope this helps!

------------------

Ed Runnion -- Sunnyvale CA -- 96 BBB, Many Mods
[email protected]
www.runnion.net
ROD, HAIL, SoCalSS, NAISSO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
According to everything I've read, the best F-body sway bar is from a '79 Z28.

You can also get an "aftermarket" F-body sway bar from Ken Crocie at HO Enterprises (which is what I did). I like the HO front/HA rear bar combo. It suits my driving style very well.

Also, Ken told me that they now have a rear bar that is the same dimensions as the Herb Adams rear bar but is nicer looking (i.e. not rough and scaled).

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brew : does HO Enterprises have it finally out? This is the "top secret new HA-like rear bar" I've mentioned, and if it's out (and in quantity) I think that Mr Matt Adam's monopoly days are over

Let us hope so!

------------------

[email protected]
www.runnion.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regarding the f-body front sway bar:

I picked one up used at a local "U-pull it" junk yard for $12.00. They have a half price sale a couple of times a year, that would bring it down to $6.00!.

While shopping the wrecked cars I found three or four different sizes of front sway bars on the f-bodys. They had little whimpy ones on the 6 cylinders and a few options on the V8 cars. I just measured each one untill I found the one I needed. I ended up using one from a 79 Z28. It works great!

Mike
(getting up enough nerve to autocross)

------------------
Region of Doom - Sacramento
1994 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I have to ask. I got the 98 Camaro Sway bar the other day. And with your help found out the right one to get. So I went back to get a 79 Z28 Sway Bar they said they had in an auto wrecking yard. Well turns out that they only had a 79 Firebird. So I took it to try but not with out a major argument with the help at the yard about what it will fit and what I wanted to put it on. I wonder if that guy has tried the fit in his @&&. Be more than happy to put it in place for him. So tell me that this thing will fit so I don't have to do a "drive-by sway bar throwing" at their fine place of buisness.

------------------

Allen Turner
95 BBB Caprice SS (x9C1) w/ racing stripes mom.
Plates:X50SS
My Caprice SS Page
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's off a 79 Firebird, it'll definitely bolt up, BUT....

Check the diameter first, and make sure it's 1.25" and not 1.125" (or less). Stock SS bar is 1.125", and no sense going to the trouble of installing the new bar on your car if it's no bigger than your current one.

As for the rest of the hardware, do the following :
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Use the Energy Suspension Greasable Poly 1.25" bushings, approx $20 thru Summit Racing
<LI>For endlinks, use the F-body ones listed on the IGBA Website. However, double-nut the endlinks (you'll have to buy some extra nuts at the hardware store)....I didn't, and had one fall off!
<LI>DO NOT REUSE THE STOCK BUSHING BOLTS!!! They are a distorting thread design, and reusing them is a good way to strip out the threads in the frame. Rather, order the non-prevailing torque bolts on the IGBA site.
[/list]

Hope this helps!

------------------

[email protected]
www.runnion.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, this is the one. It is 1.25 inch.

AutocroSSer, G Man, Brewdawg, BAD ROD.
Thanks very much for the help.

Also, the wrecking yard would like to thank you. The help at the wrecking yard would really like to thank you from the bottom of his....... well you know.

Thanks Guys!!!!

------------------

Allen Turner
My Caprice SS Page
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BAD ROD
Are you asking if I am getting the nerve to autocross?
The P.D. here was nice enough to send me to two high-speed pursuit schools. I guess I should put some of it to use.

Before I can I have a bunch to do first.

------------------

Allen Turner
My Caprice SS Page
[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
capricess,

I was mentioning that I am getting up the nerve to autocross my SS. I have been a spectator 3 times and was all ready to go out this weekend and give it a try. But, we have rain here in Sacramento (VERY unusual prior to Labor Day) and I canceled my inaugural autocross plans. I guess autocross in the rain may be fun, but not for my first time. High-speed pursuit school must be thrilling.

BTW, on your f-body sway bar, I would take Ed’s advice on using the Energy Suspension Greasable Poly 1.25" bushings. I used the GM parts that others have recommended and had a TERRIBLE time getting them to mount right using the stock bushing brackets. I eventually got it to work, but I think the Energy Suspension bushings must be easier to install and equal to or better performance than the GM option.

Mike

------------------
Region of Doom - Sacramento
1994 SS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ed,

Last time I spoke to Ken was 2 months ago. I had called him about a missing part on my front bar that wasn't missing (I must be losing my eyesight in my old age).

He told me then, that the rear bars were ready. Since I had received my HA rear bar in May (from a GP by Nick Cacoperdo in JANUARY!), I told him I was set. Although had I known I would have waited.

Were I going to buy a rear bar now, my first call would be to HO Enterprises to see if they are shipping. I received my front bar from them in 2 days from order date. So YES let us hope they're in production.

So I guess the short answer to your question is: I think so.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bad Rod,
I am going to get the parts that he listed and do it right the first time. I had planned on using factory stuff. But I don't want to be doing fixing it daily.

That school is a blast. One of our guys rolled his take home unit in the same school. It is fast and is nothing more than a race school for cops. Looking forward to the advanced course.

------------------

Allen Turner
My Caprice SS Page
[email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.