Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what throttle body, maf comb are you running...

i know the f body lt1 throttle body is an upgrade on a b body, but is the f body lt1 mass air an upgrade also. how can i tell the difference in a b body t/b and mass air, and a f body t/b and mass air, can someone post pics.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would the f body maf make a difference performance wise. then

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info, i read in a sticky not to go with a aftermarket maf.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Do NOT buy an aftermarket mass air sensor.

The F-body mass air sensor is an upgrade but it is not necessary until you being internal mods. Your PCM will need to be reflashed when you get the F-body unit.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i have a stock ss,i have a raiss intake but its not installed yet. i want to do a couple of small performance mods before i send the pcm off. anyone have any suggestions on what else to do, gears ,tq converter, 1.6 rocker arms, and valve springs. i want more performance.

·
Registered
736 Posts
i have a stock ss,i have a raiss intake but its not installed yet. i want to do a couple of small performance mods before i send the pcm off. thats why i was asking about the t/b and maf,anyone have any suggestions.
Like others have said. The throttle body’s are the same parts no difference - no reason to change unless the other one looks prettier.

The MAF can be swapped but wait until the computer comes back from the tuner with the F-body MAF tables programmed into it to make the actual swap.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The screen is to smooth out air flow, allowing the MAF to read consistently. The only reason to remove the screen is if you are going to run something like the SSRI or RAISS where the air is flowing a straight path. It does make a mail order tune a little more iffy though. If you can dyno tune and you are really pushing for every ounce of power, then remove the screen otherwise leave it. Do not buy a ported/polished MAF unless you can dyno tune. The stock F-body MAF will flow plenty for the great majority of applications. If you get to the point where the f-body MAF is a restriction, then it's best to look at MAF-less tunes.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
No mater what, leave the screen in. It changes the eddy currents that occurr in certain places along the airflow path in the sensor that can make the calibration and subsequently the tune off. Most sensors need to be cleaned yearly to remove the oil film that builds up, from the small amounts shed out by the crankcase breather system, to keep them reading correctly. More often if an oiled air filter is used. Excess oil finds its way onto the maf wires and throws the air measurement reading off and causes all sorts of annoying drivabiliy problems.

HTH
Chris

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
.......MAF and what does it mean with or without screen......
The OEM MAFs (B-body, F-body, whatever) come with a screen that locates in front of the sensing wires.

Taking the screen out disrupts the airflow readings of these wires and throws off your calibration.

KW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.