Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after spending countless hours and hours of work on my car to get it back up to par (after numerous little issues with it since taking it up to school and letting it sit for long periods on end), I've made some nice ground and the car is (or shall I say was) looking, running, driving real niiiice. Until today that is. I now have a nice addition to my car in the form of a smashed up front passenger side fender. I'm boiling right now, especially since I put so much time and effort in to the car show portion of the event in Vegas, oh, and because I'm out like $700 bucks now (whcih I can't afford anyway).

Now, my question or concern: Should I even keep going with my preparations for car show? I mean realistically, do I even stand a chance now? Do points get taken off for things like that? I would assume so.

I still have a bit of work left to do on it, but it's mostly the finishing details, and some other minor things (some of which I will have to do in Vegas anyway). But, I'm at the point right now where I'm just gonna give up now and not worry about the car show if I'm going to be docked alot of points for the fender anyway.

Any comments on this would be wonderful.

And to anyone going to Vegas, to find me....just look for the SS with the front passenger side fender damage and the guy driving/hanging around it with the huge frown on his face. 8^(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Justin that sucks!! I would assume that the exterior part would get ducked points but not the rest of the car. I mean if these "Judges" wanna get crazy about a smashed fender that just HAPPENED, then whats the point of even competing? Look at this way Justin, I don't even know if my car will be done before tuesday. it is at the Sounds shop getting my custom trunk done and system installed. I was told it would be done today but I don't even think it'll be done by Tuesday. The whole install is pretty complicated so I am not that mad at the shop. I don't want them to do a crappy job because I told them to hurry up. I rather just wait. But if push comes to shove I'll be heading out there in my truck
so I will be there and I'll look for you!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Jimsterlok:
I mean if these "Judges" wanna get crazy about a smashed fender that just HAPPENED, then whats the point of even competing?
Well, that's my point, so that's what I'm gonna find out. No point in breaking balls to get the thing all dolled up if this f$%&*!# fender is going to knock me.

Frankly, car show really isn't my thing. I keep my car nice and clean (just ask around), but I don't have time to be super anal about it. Sorry, it's just not all that important for me to make sure I have ever spek of dust removed from behind my license plate and from under my wheel wells. My car is a high mileage, daily driver and I'm a poor college student, so what do you expect (right Andy?)

However, people get mad at me when I don't enter it, because it is high mileage, it is a 94, and it is pretty damn clean, especially when I spend a little time on it. So for that reason, I spent/spend alot of time on it to see how well I can do in an event that I never thought I could compete in. So far, I've been pretty impressed.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Justin,
Sorry to hear about it! Go ahead and enter it. Do you remember Jerry Campbell's wagon from Albuquerque that had the road alligator fly up and smash his headlight, hood and fiberglas bumper to bits on the way to Tulsa? He entered and still placed in the car show. Go for it.
Sam Martin

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with Sam. The fender is only one small area on the judging sheet.

The car is a high mileage 94. How many 94's will be at the event?? FEW!!

Besides I know what Larry Hall looks for and it is not items on the outside. It is the attention to the small details.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know how bad the damage really is but might be able to help you out. I have been able to fix some pretty bad damage. Either way you should enter, you might be supprised.
Beach Cities Paintless Dent Removal

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bad is it? Do you have any pics? Will you be there tomorrow?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll enter for the hell of it anyway.

Yes, I remember Jerry's Wagon, in fact, I was there when it happened. We were caravaning together with the ROD and NMISSO group on our last day to Tulsa.

The damage is pretty bad in my opinion, but I mean what do I have to compare it to? A perfectly fine fender that was there less than 24 hours ago? :(

I will be there Monday afternoon and was planning on picking up a new fender from Kevin at Fairway Chevy in Vegas. However, I'll take any other opinions from anyone who may be able to salvage it, or whatever.

The paint was scored, and spliced a little but none of it was missing until I decided to mess with it and use my BFH to pound the panel back out so it wouldn't scrape my tire on large bumps. Now I've got some paint missing, but it's real minor.

Lance, I'll let you know when I arrive and you can take a gander at it. Same goes for anyone else who wants to see me dwell in my sorrow. Sorry, I'm just not taking this well at all.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justin, I know where you are coming from.

Today I dropped my electric air compresser on my hood just after detailng my car for Vegas and put a nice divit in my hood

Man was I PISSED at myself!

Hopefully I can get it smoothed out by the guys at Beach City.

I wasnt going to be in the car show either but the guys in our club thought I should so what the heck!! Its all fun.

I havent entered in a car show before so it will be a learning experience for me.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nabster - Oh, I'll be racing....you can bet your sweet ass on that. ;)

I don't know what's worse - dealing with your car after YOU'VE done something to it, or someone else has done something to it during a hit and run?? I've done both and I think dealing with yourself is much more painful. It's alot easier to blame someone else, but when blaming yourself and having to deal with those emotions - I don't wish that on anyone.

MY POOR BABY!!!!!!! :(

Yeah, I'm gonna see what Beach City thinks also but I'll bet 20 bucks I'll be at Fairway chevy getting an ew fender and installing it in the parking lot. Maybe it's a good time to do the smoothies and hood I've alsways wanted?

Anywho, thanks for the responses. Any other car show judges or experts wanna tell me if it's even worth it now though?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn it BruiSSer!!!!!
Are you that worried about a ten dollar trophy!!

I think you are supposed to go out and have FUN!!

I am unable to make it this year due to a new job and no vacation time --- So find the nearest blender and drink one for me! :D

Just remember a bent fender Just means IT'S DRIVEN!!! :D

Tom

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO, I'm not worried about it, that's why I said what I said about my feelings towards car shows anyway.

Trophie's don't mean a damn thing to me, just ask around.

My only problem is that I've actually planned to be in the car show and spent alot of time and energy into making the car all ready for the car show. It's not my cup of tea, but everyone gets on my case if I don't do it because of my cars mileage, condition, and it being a 94 (i.e. my chances of winning are real good). That is all....no point in wasting more time and energy on this damn thing if it isn't worth it. RIGHT?!?! That's why I asked for opinions by car show judges and the like.

BTW, I love your way of thinking about the fender. It's true, it sure is proof that i's been driven - driven by an idiot, but yet still driven. :( ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by jeSSe96:
so how did the dent happen in the first place?
What do you care? I'll spare you the looooong story. And no, I'm not afraid to tell anyone - everyone in Vegas knows what happened.

Anyway, I won first place in my class for car show in Vegas. Somehow the fender didn't take too many points off just like everyone told me. Thanks for the input fella's!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thumbs Up BruiSSer!!! Good going on the show!!!

P.S. Did you find the blender?

Tom Luebbert

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No I didn't, unfortunetly. :( My GF suprised me that night by flying in from Sac so she could see the car show, and see/ride with me in the autocross. She originally couldn't make it due to work but was able to get out of it for 2 days. So we hit up the strip that night and did that deal. When we got back, I saw Moe and said hi but I didn't get a reply so I guess he didn't see me. I did see the blender from a distance though but it looked like they were wrapping things up, and I had to get the car ready for the next day.

I made up for the other nights though. Believe that!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts