Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been doing some electrical work under my dash and behind the glove box. The factory used electrical tape that is kind of sticky after all these years. I removed some of it to diagnose some problems. Is there any special kind of tape I should use to replace and clean all of it up? Is regular electrical tape what everyone is using? Thanks.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I use the cloth tape from Tesa, you can find it on Amazon. There's a few different kinds, high temp for under hood, the regular stuff for inside the car and there is some fuzzy stuff for wires that may touch or bounce on something so they stay quiet. It's not cheap, but it's good stuff.

·
Registered
933 Posts
3m 33+ or 3m 88 can be used from 32-220 Fahrenheit and are my choice as a cover over wiring. It should be fine for covering the oil gauge resistor and wiring. "hockey tape" matches what older cars use. I have seen ten year plus applications that are still good under the hood.

Cheap tape will get gooey with heat and may slip or start to "unroll" from itself at the loose end. That said it does work for in car use if you are just covering a wiring bundle.

For wire splices heat shrink is the best. Double wall rated to 220F(105C) for the engine and outside areas.

To see why electrical tape is a fail for splices have a look at the Tape Bad pictures in this thread.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the cloth tape from Tesa, you can find it on Amazon. There's a few different kinds, high temp for under hood, the regular stuff for inside the car and there is some fuzzy stuff for wires that may touch or bounce on something so they stay quiet. It's not cheap, but it's good stuff.
Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3m 33+ or 3m 88 can be used from 32-220 Fahrenheit and are my choice as a cover over wiring. It should be fine for covering the oil gauge resistor and wiring. "hockey tape" matches what older cars use. I have seen ten year plus applications that are still good under the hood.

Cheap tape will get gooey with heat and may slip or start to "unroll" from itself at the loose end. That said it does work for in car use if you are just covering a wiring bundle.

For wire splices heat shrink is the best. Double wall rated to 220F(105C) for the engine and outside areas.

To see why electrical tape is a fail for splices have a look at the Tape Bad pictures in this thread.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts