Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any pictures or other information that clearly shows the routing of all the wiring and hoses in the engine compartment of a '96SS? Maybe the Factory Assembly Procedures or the like?

It's been my experience that GM put every cable and hose in the spot it was in for a reason. Brackets and Clamps and Fire Sleeves and everything. Sadly, it appears that some people don't consider some of it important. You know, "Let's put on Headers"... "Yeah!"..."UH, OH, what should we do with this wire?"..."Well, it's not very big, so let's just stuff it over here, nobody will notice"...

I'm hoping some detail photos of a low-mile bone-stock engine bay might be around (or someone might take some?).

In particular, my Crank Position Sensor harness was being pinched between the headers and the frame. I re-routed it with prodigious use of tie-wraps, but I decided it was still too close to the headers, and wanted to double-check the wires themselves for damage. So, I routed the CPS harness through the A/C lines and behind the P/S pump. I separated the Solenoid, Knock, and Head Temp Sensor wires, and routed them down the block. It looked like there was a clamp up high on the block that might have been for those wires, but I'm not sure. It seems OK, but I still would like to know where they originally went.

I would also like to know the factory layout of the Opt-Vent Harness and all the other hoses and such on the drivers side intake manifold. Who's on top? This side of ignition module, or that side? All that stuff. My AIR bracket is gone, and there was a couple of clamp locations on it. You know, when you're doing ultra-cool mods, you don't have to worry about boring things like wires and hoses...

I do have questions as to why GM routed the CPS wires ALL the way around the block to get to the PCM which is only about 1' away...

Thanks,

-KP

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good luck, factory engine is covered with emissions stuff, sound baffles, and intake tubing. I doubt you'll be able to see anything.

I feel your pain though, I'm a huge FACTORY is best advocate. When I buy aftermarket I try to find parts that are as close to OEM as possible.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts