Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had my car inspected and it failed to my big surprise. One bad spindle joint, a broken mirror glass. I did that myself three weeks ago :(
Then they complained about the headlights, the lens or is it called reflector in english I´m not sure were burnt or rusted. Can the glass be taken off and the lenses/reflectors be fixed or do I need to find new headlights? Are they even available?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
THAT car failed an inspection??? Wow... in any event you can "polish" the headlamp lenses with something called a headlamp restoration kit. You will remove the haze from your plastic headlamp lens (this is what makes them appear "cloudy") and then clearcoat them (which is to help keep them looking clear for a few years). You can probably find someone on this forum to sell you a new mirror glass (such as Fred Kiehl).

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
THAT car failed an inspection??? Wow... in any event you can "polish" the headlamp lenses with something called a headlamp restoration kit. You will remove the haze from your plastic headlamp lens...
Fleetwood lenses are fluted glass. He must mean the reflectors inside...? Not sure how they could be rusted on these, though...

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Shoot us a pic. If it's the actual glass headlight then the only issues can be weather somehow got inside the capsule and corroded or crazed the backing reflector. Perhaps a bulb was used at some point that was not the proper application and burnt the backing.

If it's the large cornering lamp then you may need a plastic restorer kit.

To answer your question the glass can be separated from the can (I believe) by gently heating and pulling the urethane mastic bead.

Headlights are not available new anymore. It looks like they are getting $50-150 each on e-bay.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok then reflector is the proper name for what I mean. Mine are rusted or burned. It´s not the stock bulb in there, maybe these got too hot?? I told them that I only use the car in summertime when it never gets dark but that didn´t help. They Always find something to complain about.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good luck finding good headlights - they are not available new, only used. And prices are pretty high. I walked this road - nothing you can do to make reflector better. If it is oxidised (black), then its gone. All kind of paints or mirror tapes doesnt help.
I even tried hydrochrome - too hot for this.
Glass is removable carefully, like 96Black wrote...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck finding good headlights - they are not available new, only used. And prices are pretty high. I walked this road - nothing you can do to make reflector better. If it is oxidised (black), then its gone. All kind of paints or mirror tapes doesnt help.
I even tried hydrochrome - too hot for this.
Glass is removable carefully, like 96Black wrote...
If that is true I guess I have to try to get two used headlights. I found two over here at a US car scrapyard. I will check the condition and how much they are asking.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I thought the "swedish" headlights were ridiculously overprized. - 360$ for the pair.
I will get those in the link above. Seller claims they are ok.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
586 Posts
As I thought the "swedish" headlights were ridiculously overprized. - 360$ for the pair.
I will get those in the link above. Seller claims they are ok.
Get that better set, drop them in for the inspection, then swap the bad set back in to drive on. That way, you always have a good set that will allow you to pass inspection. Just a thought.

I do that with our 95 Z28. The engine has a lot of cam, which really beats up the catalytic converters. I swap in a working converter to get an inspection, then swap it out so we can drive the car without burning up the converter. Win-win, in my book.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Dorman replacement headlamps

I got in contact with Dorman as the illustration is not for a Fleetwood. Yep, they are for a Deville. Cadillac like to throw the Fleetwood name around and there was the Deville Fleetwood FWD variant. The hunt continues.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, how about that!

I got in contact with Dorman as the illustration is not for a Fleetwood. Yep, they are for a Deville. Cadillac like to throw the Fleetwood name around and there was the Deville Fleetwood FWD variant. The hunt continues.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
291 Posts
You do not know how many times I go to a parts store or salvage yard and ask for Fleetwood parts and they act as if DeVille is the same thing. This may have been true in the 60s and 70s for many parts, but not so for the 90s! Then I tell them it is a REAR wheel drive car and they act as if I came off a space ship.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts