Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have the problem of there rear view mirrior flling off? Whats the best glue to use to mke sure this doesnt happen again?

·
Registered
785 Posts
theres a specialty glue for it but it seemed like regular super glue when i bought a tube of it from autozone.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Its not so much the glue, although I would get the glue thats specially made for it. The most important thing is to make ABSOLUTLY sure that the window is completely spotless before you try to glue the foot back on. So your proceedure would be:

1. Remove foot from mirror. Stock mirrors use a torx, T-20 of I remember correctly.

2. Mark foot location on the outside of the window with a sharpie. Make can be removed with acetone later.

3. Clean mounting side of foot and window with acetone. Get straight acetone, available at most home centers. Don't use your female significate other's nail polish remover as it has additives in it that will effect adhesion.

!!!Warning!!! Be very careful to not get any acetone on your dash as it will damage the vinyl.

4. Place the metal mounting foot on a piece of tape.

5. Apply primer that came in the kit to the foot and/or the window as specified in the kit.

6. Apply one small dot of glue to the foot.

7. Put foot in place on window and tape down.

8. Contrary to the instuctions in most of the kits, I like to let the glue set overnight. Most of the kits will tell you that the glue is ready to go in an hour.

9. Next day, reinstall mirror onto mounting foot. If every thing is done properly, shouldn't have any problems for years to come.

Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
What the previous poster said is perfect but if you don't want to buy acetone, I have used rubbing alcohol. Works just as well. Used that same proecdure on 2 cars and they are still holding strong. Again Just my expreience.
Kevin

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Just go by a glass shop. They will put it on for practically nothing and it won't come off because they will use the right stuff. Takes 10 minutes.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
1. Remove foot from mirror. Stock mirrors use a torx, T-20 of I remember correctly.
91-93 use a torx, and the 94-96 have a spring clip in the mirror.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That is partially correct. The standard manual mirror w/o lightsuses a Torx screw. The factory auto-dimming mirror, along with the auto-dim+compass and autodim+compass+temp has the spring clip style. - Peter

91-93 use a torx, and the 94-96 have a spring clip in the mirror.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wish the auto dimming mirror had the torx screw setup because it's difficult to get the spring clip type to slid onto the foot. My mirror was hanging down one day so I decided to fix it. I cleaned the windshield, followed the direction on the package and installed the foot. I waited several days before putting the mirror up, just in case. I had to bang the mirror onto the foot because of the clip. Less than a week later, the mirror was hanging again so, I just put the mirror on the floor.

Maybe I didn't clean the windshield good enough? Who knows. I used 90% alcohol to clean the windshield and foot. I'm sure it didn't help having to bang the mirror into place either. Luckily, a local glass shop does installations for free. I'll let them deal with it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Haven't had to deal with the one on my Caprice, so I wasn't aware of the spring clip. Just had to glue one on my dad's 84 Monte SS and my father-in-law's 81 CJ-8. The 8 I screwed up a couple of times before I got it right, Don't think I was getting the window clean enough.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
That is partially correct. The standard manual mirror w/o lightsuses a Torx screw. The factory auto-dimming mirror, along with the auto-dim+compass and autodim+compass+temp has the spring clip style. - Peter
I have an auto dim and a compass mirror with torx screws.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah, but yours are 1991 & 1992 Olds CCs. I pulled a compass mirror out of a 1992 Caprice to use in my 84 Monte SS in the yard a couple of weeks ago that was a torx screw mount.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Yeah, but yours are 1991 & 1992 Olds CCs. I pulled a compass mirror out of a 1992 Caprice to use in my 84 Monte SS in the yard a couple of weeks ago that was a torx screw mount.
The compass mirrors I have did not necessarily come out of OCCs, I got them in a JY from an assortment of cars. All of the compass mirrors I have seen for the B-body cars, so far, have the torx screw. They all have a single 4 pin connector. I also have a auto dim from a 96 that has the spring clip, and a single inline connector that plugs directly into the mirror. The auto dim mirrors with the torx screws have two connectors, and 4 pin, and a single pin.

Both of my OCCs came with compass mirrors.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I can tell you now that Krazy Glue doesn't cut it, fell off in 2 days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any body have the problem of there rear view mirrior flling off? Whats the best glue to use to mke sure this doesnt happen again?
look up your nearest autozone.. they have a kit for about 7 bucks or less.. use wipe the service with the wet nap thats included ... peel all old glue from the base that the mirror slides onto... ad the new glue.. then only put the base back up on the window without the entire mirror on it... (to much weight while trying to glue back in place) then let it sit for i say over night.. then next day slide your mirror back on the base.. u good to go.. i just did it a week ago..thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
For the adhesive to work, both surfaces must be _perfectly_ clean.

Go to your local auto parts store and ask for 'Rear View Mirror Adhesive'. They'll likely hand you a 3M kit.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...2K94_nid=JJHQSCX1N5gsMDCVJW7L8SglRF5L45T8R3bl

As others have indicated, pull the mounting puck out of the mirror.
Locate where you want to put it, usually by marking the outside of the windshield with a marker, or piece of tape.
If there's any residue of the old glue on the windshield and/or mounting puck, scrape it all off with a single-edge razor blade.
Now, wipe the windshield and the puck down with Clorox, and wipe dry with a clean towel.
Next, wipe the same areas down with Isopropyl Alcohol, and again and wipe dry with a clean towel. The Clorox will clean a lot of stuff that alcohol alone won't get, namely residues from cigarette smoke and interior trim treatments. The alcohol will get the rest.

Do NOT touch either the windshield or the mounting surface of the mounting puck with your bare skin. If you do, you'll need to re-clean that surface.

Now, follow the instructions on the Rear View Mirror Adhesive package, remembering to mount the puck with the correct side against the windshield. Hold for a few seconds (30 seconds, IIRC) and then let it sit as long as possible, hopefully overnight, without the weight of the mirror on it. Next day, reinstall the mirror, and you should be good to go.

I worked my way through college working at a family-owned parts house, and those are the instructions I gave customers, and the instructions I followed myself. I never had to re-glue a mirror after mounting it using those directions.

·
Registered
137 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts