Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use 2 primary fan motors instead of the smaller secondary motor for better cooling also I am installing garys tsb harness
thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The smaller secondary motor is the primary. The secondaries are the big ones. If you are asking about no modification bolt on of two 240Watt fans no.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
You don't state what car yours is, but the 150 primary (pass. side) and 100 secondary (driver's side) was spec for base Caprice (and maybe other B-es too). WX3 and 9C1 automatically got upgraded V03 (Extra Capacity Cooling) system, which is a larger radiator, an increased capacity A/C condenser, and upgraded 240-watt secondary (LH) to go with the 150-watt primary (RH) fan. V03 is also optional on most B/D-car models. Non V03 got a 100watt secondary.

Z09B4U's links should be read. There are reports that a 150watt can be swapped into a 100watt housing, but no way possible to mount a 240watt into either 100 or 150.

Finally, archive release info that '95-'96 V03 got the 240 secondary 'demoted' back down to 100 have been pretty much debunked as everyone with those years of SS and 9C1 report they have the big secondary.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
If you i.d.ed your car to Gary then just go ahead and install the harness. No need to change anything, and there's no benefit attempting to.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just want to make it so it cools better. Gary was ok with it. Juat want to verify if the primary motor is 150 watts. And will fit for the secondary fan

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I thought the primary was 150 watt and secondary was 100 watts
The primary is the passenger side. If it is electrical it is ALWAYS 150W.

The secondary is the passenger side.
If it's smaller than the primary it's 100W.
If it's larger than the primary it's 240W.
I just want to make it so it cools better.
Has your pcm been reprogrammed, or is it still using an OEM program?

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I just want to make it so it cools better. ........
I'm not sure what 'cools better' is compared to, but if you've had a bad overheating incident then it calls for automatic thermostat change. You look to be an oldtimer on here, so you know the importance of PM of the system. Lowering the 'on' temps is good, but stuff like max 5 years between flush and the proper burp routine are key too.

Parting thought: I've replaced a total of 4 motors on the 3 B-/D- bodies I've had due to binding - dragging when free-wheeling.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just wondering if I can use a the same fan motor side to side that way they are both 150 w versus 150/100

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
Its a 1995 impala ss
But they aren't 150/100. You state having an Impala SS. So you have V03 and the big 240W secondary. Why the questions about a 100W anything?

If you have a small motor on the DS then check your SPID for WX3 and V03.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Finally, archive release info that '95-'96 V03 got the 240 secondary 'demoted' back down to 100 have been pretty much debunked as everyone with those years of SS and 9C1 report they have the big secondary.
I'm willing to kick this dead horse again.

I've owned many '94-96 9C1s since circa 1996 and NONE of them ever had the bigger 240W fan. The '94s only have the 150W+100W pair. Then in '95, it's true that 9C1 cars started coming with the 100W+100W pair.

This can be confirmed with the old GM parts listings that I have, in summary:

LH fan: 22136414 (9C1, small dia motor, 100W)
LH fan: 22136897 (9C1, '94 only, small dia motor, 150W)
LH fan: 22134444 (Impala SS, big dia motor, 240W)

RH fan: 22137318 (all years)

When I replace the fans on my 9C1s, it's a struggle because I like to install the 150W version but they are hard to find to confirm it's actually the 150W and not the 100W replacement. Even the old GM part numbers of the smaller motors often time are obsoleted by the 100W version, especially the aftermarket versions. The online references do not always list the wattage.

In contrast to the 9C1, what I can say with certainty is that the larger diameter 240W motor, was definitely used on the Impala SS as the stock secondary from the factory on all years. From the parts listings and from personal experience. Again, I've owned my Impala SS since late 1998, and am the second owner. First owner kept it stock. Most other civvy B-Bodies came with this 240W fan as a secondary. Just on the LH side. You cannot easily swap this motor to the RH side and run dual 240W, as the brackets are different. But you can upgrade a 9C1 with it on the LH side, if you have the entire large-motor fan bracket assembly from an Impala, Roadmaster, civvy Caprice, etc, which I've done.

I never understood why the 9C1s didn't get the 240W fan, except maybe because they wanted to reserve extra power for the police accessories. That was a big deal then, with huge halogen multi-motor Vector light bars using upwards of 90A fully provisioned, for example. Additionally, I suspect that idling and long duty cycles of the 240W motor would overload the wiring. This is why I think they went down to dual 100W in '95. Just to prevent the wiring harnesses and relays from burning up on cars idling 24/7. Heck they burned up with just the 100W fans. Yes it was harder on the cooling system and engine to run smaller motors, but engineers probably determined that airflow was adequate to get them through the warranty period. A much more reasonable decision than risking numerous electrical fires.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you guys are all correct there is the big motor I never looked real close at it thanks for all the replies and help

1 - 15 of 15 Posts