Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked search function but nothing has shown up in about 5 yrs. There is a shop in High Point, NC that had one of if not the fastest Camaro 6 spd car in the country running an LT1. Seems to be using either the FAST xfi or Holley Dominater xfi setup. Has anyone used these control units on there LT1's?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I have seen it done on a buddy's Firebird when he put twins on it. It was also controlling the 4L60E as well. It's quite capable of it but for the cost, I'd just run an LS 411 PCM and went 24x. Unless I was planning on a crazy power adder, or just wanted the fancy touch screen and all that of course.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I just made this decision. My knowledge is limited, and old, so while resurrecting my Impala, I was looking to go with Accel DFI. Duh, I learned that no longer “exists”. I then looked at the F.A.S.T. solutions, which were good. However, for my application I was looking at about a $2000.00 entry price and some other extras would be necessary. The interesting part was that I found that most of my local tuners are working with the GM computer (on the modern cars they are tuning). Honestly, most seemed more knowledgeable about the GM computer rather than the FAST XFI or the Big Stuff 3 I was looking at.
TLDR: I bought a Torqhead 24x

(So far the car is 396ci LT1 with the 24X coming soon. I am also putting it back together with a centrifugal that will be completely upgraded from my old set up)

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the dilemma I'm dealing with now, do I stay with the stock computer, 411 LS setup, or aftermarket setup. I do like the Holley setup with the dash screen but pricey it is. Plan on buying or building a 383 LT1 since this is the last thing I need to complete the car.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
That's the dilemma I'm dealing with now, do I stay with the stock computer, 411 LS setup, or aftermarket setup. I do like the Holley setup with the dash screen but pricey it is. Plan on buying or building a 383 LT1 since this is the last thing I need to complete the car.
Well for me, it came down to the tuner. I was willing to pay more for the Fast XFI, but I am going to be running a lot of boost through a centrifugal, so the tune has to be spot on. The tuner I chose is big into modern cars and centrifugal blowers, and he is doing most of his business with GM LSX "stock" computers. This is what drove me to go with the Torqhead 24X. It doesn't hurt that it was slightly cheaper that the FAST system I was looking at, but if my tuner preferred FAST, I certainly would have bought it. I am being told the 411 LS computer is plenty smart enough to do everything I want to do, and the integration to the Impala platform is clean and elegant. Be aware, there is a long wait for the Torqhead unit; I think the site says a 20 day lead time at this point. (I am still waiting for mine, it has my whole build on hold as I want to install the Torqhead while the engine is still outside of the car).

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've posted this before but I did my entire 24x conversion including the HPTuners rig and software for about $1300. That includes the coils, plug wires, computer and the 04 Silverado engine harness I got all the additional wiring connectors out of. If the 411 PCM fills your needs that can leave alot of cash for other go fast goodies. I could probably do my 2nd LT1 for about $600 if the opti died right now. I will say it is slightly frightening when you have the whole harness devoid of sheathing and tape and it looks like a big pile of spaghetti atop the intake in the middle of the re-wire.

-Brian

Reactions: nsaness

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing you integrated the wiring to work with all the dash switches, HVAC, and IC?

This the part that freaks me out. I'm at best a novice when it comes to wiring.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Mostly it was moving the PCM pins from the LT1 connectors into the LSX connectors, adding the Coil Control wires from the PCM to the coils, and adapting a few of the sensors 5V and or PCM shared grounds. (Example, the knock sensors on the LT1 share a common ground back to the PCM but on the LSX the have their own.) I have a pretty good write up on exactly what wires I had to modify and what the re-pinning steps were. No modification of anything under the dash other than my already existing Z-28 Oil Pressure Mod.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked out Torqhead website and damn it seems plug and play.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Torquehead's is plug and play. The include all the coil pack brackets and they've made the wiring changes inside of their custom 411 PCM to LT1 style connector adapter. It's a nice set-up, especially if wiring is not your cup of tea. The only real complaint I have with there set up (and it's pretty minor) is that the main reluctor is external to the engine. The EFI Connection 24X Kit uses a internal wheel behind the timing cover.

-Brian

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
[/QUO
I know the EFI Connection 24X is great, but seeing a few pictures of open wire looms (like Sshocker’s picture) made me choose the Torqhead option. I too am leery of doing my own wiring. TH was perfect or my abilities (a little mechanical, but no wiring)

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I see it's external but Torqhead is more complete for the B-body than EFI Connection, plus for me this is going to be more strip than street.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts