Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
You may want to get it on a scale as I bet it's more than 4200 if you now have two turbos and nitrous tank and all the other stuff. Unless you took weight out of the wheels or the 4100 was when it still had AC? If you changed nothing but added the other stuff it's weighs more than 4200.

I wish the HP calculators had an addition for superchargers to account for blower drag. Turbos don't need that but superchargers have to account for the additional HP loss in the engine. You can see that by fuel load to the motor and then know what the actual HP level is in the engine.
4100 lbs is with all the nitrous stuff but no AC.

I'm guessing each turbo weight about 30 lbs, + the piping and intercooler and water/meth injection pump should add up to 100 lbs at least.

Fantastic.
Need to name your car the Freight Train..
Hauling down that weight requires good brakes.

More sorting ..mid nines!

I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised of the performance of the stock brakes. I have rear discs from a 9C1 and stock B4U front brakes. I've installed premium rotors and pads but nothing too fancy. I've also changed both "bolts" in the combi valve.

It brakes really well considering the weight and speed but it creates A LOT of brake dust after a pass! cwm4

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
4100 lbs is with all the nitrous stuff but no AC.

I'm guessing each turbo weight about 30 lbs, + the piping and intercooler and water/meth injection pump should add up to 100 lbs at least.

I have to admit that I'm pleasantly surprised of the performance of the stock brakes. I have rear discs from a 9C1 and stock B4U front brakes. I've installed premium rotors and pads but nothing too fancy. I've also changed both "bolts" in the combi valve.

It brakes really well considering the weight and speed but it creates A LOT of brake dust after a pass! cwm4
You have 20 more MPH to go on those brakes. Mine are stock on the rear and the fronts are just a better rotor with Hawk cold pads. So far it's stopping 4500 at 156 MPH with no issues. The setup is fine driving around and the only thing you have to watch is you don't want to drag the cold pads. They let you know if you are as they squeal. Talk to Bill Harper on brakes as I think he knows the most across the board.

The only other change is a vacuum pump instead of engine vac. Two reasons for that.
1. That makes 30 inches of vac at all times so your power brakes really have some power!!
2. If the motor dies, stalls or anything, I still have full brakes and that's a big deal in the safety factor.

You may want to think about changing to that. You stall your motor at even 140 MPH and you may not get it stopped. All you have at that point is what's in the booster.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've noticed of late that the ET Records Page is not up. Does anyone know what's going on with it? Very valuable page IMO.

Yea but have any of you tried clicking the "Details" button? Mine comes up blank on every single car on the list. I could give a damn what people run if I can't see the mods and other important details listed that info was golden....Hasn't worked in over a month for me.

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,206 Posts
I will ping Cheston

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Thanks Bill. And I just pinged Karl & Dan about it. Karl has been aware of it, but I haven't heard from Dan yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have an observation/ question in regards to the ET page...

So if you take the top 20 for example, you have a few guys who hold multiple places (Steve Morris, Mike Smith, Glen Koenig) and obviously the further down the list you go, the more evident this multiplication becomes....

My question is, the guys who are repeat offenders (in a good way!), are they on the list multiple times because they own several Impalas/ Caprices or is it just based on the slips they have submitted in relation to the rest of the community?

The lists I have seen were always basically broken down into the fastest pass a given driver has made in his specific chassis regardless of current or past motor/ trans combo.

I guess what I am getting at.....if Steve Morris submitted 20 of his fastest passes for his wagon, and they were all sub 8 second passes, would he now hold the top 20 spots on the list?

Not criticizing or anything like that, just curious where some of the redundancy comes from and how the list works? Maybe I am missing something.

Regardless, Thanks for maintaining a valuable piece of information for the community....i know this stuff takes a lot of time to keep up to date.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Karl had intentionally left multiple entries for the same car in the same class when he thought the setup had changed enough to merit attention for how the change in setup affected performance.
But over the past few years, the "duplicate" entries have been largely just a result of lack of time for Karl and Cheston to perform maintenance/cleanup. I know Mike Harris and I have duplicate entries where there's really no significant setup changes, just tweaking and refining.
I've tried to avoid the duplication when I've submitted entries by emailing Cheston or Karl something to the effect of "10.xx timeslip to replace 10.yy current entry in the list, but I can see how that loop doesn't always get closed if they're in a hurry.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Karl had intentionally left multiple entries for the same car in the same class when he thought the setup had changed enough to merit attention for how the change in setup affected performance.
But over the past few years, the "duplicate" entries have been largely just a result of lack of time for Karl and Cheston to perform maintenance/cleanup. I know Mike Harris and I have duplicate entries where there's really no significant setup changes, just tweaking and refining.
I've tried to avoid the duplication when I've submitted entries by emailing Cheston or Karl something to the effect of "10.xx timeslip to replace 10.yy current entry in the list, but I can see how that loop doesn't always get closed if they're in a hurry.
Got it, makes sense. I was just curious.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Just Noticed Karl has my Pure Stocker car in Class 2 (Stroker) and Corbitt Marshburn's in Class 4 (Heads/Cam)

Should be changed to Class 4. Heads/Cam

Actually our cars are a lot closer to HOBO.
We both use an IHRA Legal Pure Stocker Cams.

When you look at the specs we are allowed a F-body cam with the Stamped GM Stock Rockers. Basically a B-Body cam with a 1.6RR rocker.
Both of us have our cams made with a LCA near identical to the B-Body.
We also have to use the Factory Stock Spring Pressure.
Which is the first thing Tech measures.

Corbitts car ran at F/PS weight(listed 3990#) and mine running G/PS Weight (4310).

For performance comparison.
Corbitt's car is about 65# heavier than Pat Kish's.
Corbitt ran an 12.392/102.86 and Pat a 12.365/107.21
My Car 12.887/103.64 but at 4310.

Demonstrated how close the IHRA Legal Pure Stocker cam is to the 1.6 RR on a B-Body cam.
What ever mechanical power advantage gained with the reground cam is lost to having to use Stock Spring pressure.

IMHO our Pure Stockers would fit better under Bolt-On section.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Crazy Dan,
Let's see the duration numbers on those "Pure Stock" cams ;)
They're capable of spinning a lot higher and making quite a bit more power than stock duration cams. Stock lift means ramps are gentler, thus managing to work well with the light springs.

You're right; you should be in Class 4. Email Cheston and Karl to fix that for you.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Crazy Dan,
Let's see the duration numbers on those "Pure Stock" cams ;)
They're capable of spinning a lot higher and making quite a bit more power than stock duration cams. Stock lift means ramps are gentler, thus managing to work well with the light springs.

You're right; you should be in Class 4. Email Cheston and Karl to fix that for you.
A full Stocker cam can sing high rpms.
283's twist 8000rpm in Stock and 11,000rpm in Super Stock.
They have as much as 350# Seat Pressure on hardened hydraulic lifters.

Pure Stocker's have to use Stock Lifters, Stamped Rockers, Spring Pressure. 85# Seat Pressure.

Cam card and it is right on Stock Open/Close, Overlap, Lift for an F-Body Cam.
Bullet moved the LCA to 110 Degrees for tighter torque curve.
Everything else has to fit.

Mine is about all done at 5900rpm. That is about it.
The Stock Springs at Lash will go 6300.
That is with the Dampers which add about 10lbs of Seat Pressure.

My cam is milder than Corbitt's because I wanted to drive mine to the track.

His G/PS Wagon was 2 tenths quicker in the 1/8th..

D

·
ISSF Honey Badger
27,206 Posts
Let's make sure this gets in this thread and stays here...

SSmitty's 8.50 at 158 run at ISSCA Nats 2014 - Charlotte Motor Speedway zMax Dragstrip

http://youtu.be/pS9cEXmGVHc

Here is the timeslip, SSmitty is car #1413.

1.227 60 ft time, 5.4 1/8th mile at 128. Jeeze Louise...

Attachments

41 - 60 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.