Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Fastest Impala's in the world - Top ET page - Drag Racing Info Page

51K views 98 replies 37 participants last post by  Steve H 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Link to the drag racing FAST TIMES page. Click link if you want to see who's got the fastest B/D Body, who's running what combo to achieve their times, and other great info to bench race with: http://www.top-et.com/impalass/

-----

BTW, we moved! Check out the new Top-ET page at the link above. There are a few changes including the long awaited "weight" column. We are slowly working toward filling in that column as much as we can.

Hopefully the page should be a little easier to work with now. Dan is still in the process of tweaking things to make it run better.

I'd like to thank Dan Esteban for all the work he's put into this.
And of course I'd like to thank Karl Ellwein for coming up with the idea in the first place to create a database to record this kind of info.

Please update your bookmarks to direct to this page in the future.

#51 ·
I will ping Cheston

#54 ·
I have an observation/ question in regards to the ET page...

So if you take the top 20 for example, you have a few guys who hold multiple places (Steve Morris, Mike Smith, Glen Koenig) and obviously the further down the list you go, the more evident this multiplication becomes....

My question is, the guys who are repeat offenders (in a good way!), are they on the list multiple times because they own several Impalas/ Caprices or is it just based on the slips they have submitted in relation to the rest of the community?

The lists I have seen were always basically broken down into the fastest pass a given driver has made in his specific chassis regardless of current or past motor/ trans combo.

I guess what I am getting at.....if Steve Morris submitted 20 of his fastest passes for his wagon, and they were all sub 8 second passes, would he now hold the top 20 spots on the list?

Not criticizing or anything like that, just curious where some of the redundancy comes from and how the list works? Maybe I am missing something.

Regardless, Thanks for maintaining a valuable piece of information for the community....i know this stuff takes a lot of time to keep up to date.

#55 ·
Karl had intentionally left multiple entries for the same car in the same class when he thought the setup had changed enough to merit attention for how the change in setup affected performance.
But over the past few years, the "duplicate" entries have been largely just a result of lack of time for Karl and Cheston to perform maintenance/cleanup. I know Mike Harris and I have duplicate entries where there's really no significant setup changes, just tweaking and refining.
I've tried to avoid the duplication when I've submitted entries by emailing Cheston or Karl something to the effect of "10.xx timeslip to replace 10.yy current entry in the list, but I can see how that loop doesn't always get closed if they're in a hurry.

#57 ·
Just Noticed Karl has my Pure Stocker car in Class 2 (Stroker) and Corbitt Marshburn's in Class 4 (Heads/Cam)

Should be changed to Class 4. Heads/Cam

Actually our cars are a lot closer to HOBO.
We both use an IHRA Legal Pure Stocker Cams.

When you look at the specs we are allowed a F-body cam with the Stamped GM Stock Rockers. Basically a B-Body cam with a 1.6RR rocker.
Both of us have our cams made with a LCA near identical to the B-Body.
We also have to use the Factory Stock Spring Pressure.
Which is the first thing Tech measures.

Corbitts car ran at F/PS weight(listed 3990#) and mine running G/PS Weight (4310).

For performance comparison.
Corbitt's car is about 65# heavier than Pat Kish's.
Corbitt ran an 12.392/102.86 and Pat a 12.365/107.21
My Car 12.887/103.64 but at 4310.

Demonstrated how close the IHRA Legal Pure Stocker cam is to the 1.6 RR on a B-Body cam.
What ever mechanical power advantage gained with the reground cam is lost to having to use Stock Spring pressure.

IMHO our Pure Stockers would fit better under Bolt-On section.

Dan

#58 ·
Crazy Dan,
Let's see the duration numbers on those "Pure Stock" cams ;)
They're capable of spinning a lot higher and making quite a bit more power than stock duration cams. Stock lift means ramps are gentler, thus managing to work well with the light springs.

You're right; you should be in Class 4. Email Cheston and Karl to fix that for you.

#59 ·
A full Stocker cam can sing high rpms.
283's twist 8000rpm in Stock and 11,000rpm in Super Stock.
They have as much as 350# Seat Pressure on hardened hydraulic lifters.

Pure Stocker's have to use Stock Lifters, Stamped Rockers, Spring Pressure. 85# Seat Pressure.

Cam card and it is right on Stock Open/Close, Overlap, Lift for an F-Body Cam.
Bullet moved the LCA to 110 Degrees for tighter torque curve.
Everything else has to fit.

Mine is about all done at 5900rpm. That is about it.
The Stock Springs at Lash will go 6300.
That is with the Dampers which add about 10lbs of Seat Pressure.

My cam is milder than Corbitt's because I wanted to drive mine to the track.

His G/PS Wagon was 2 tenths quicker in the 1/8th..

D

#60 ·
Let's make sure this gets in this thread and stays here...

SSmitty's 8.50 at 158 run at ISSCA Nats 2014 - Charlotte Motor Speedway zMax Dragstrip

http://youtu.be/pS9cEXmGVHc

Here is the timeslip, SSmitty is car #1413.

1.227 60 ft time, 5.4 1/8th mile at 128. Jeeze Louise...

Attachments

#61 ·
Wow, that thing is FAST! :)

What's the weight of that car?

#62 ·
Just saw the "recent" posts. Dan I fixed the error and have you in Class 4. I updated the Smitty 8.50 entry. :)

#63 ·
Can you also fix my 60' time? It should be a 1.509 not 1.609 :)

#66 ·
#69 ·
Site doesn't seem to want to load for me.

#70 ·
Thought I'd join the fun but how can I jump into the T-56 list if I can't submit my time slips?

-Brian

#71 ·
Why not just post your numbers here? Can you beat 11.44 @ 119 in a T56 B bod ??? :)

Nab

#72 ·
Why not just post your numbers here? Can you beat 11.44 @ 119 in a T56 B bod ??? :)

Nab
and a flag is down..................for taunting :D

#74 ·
Not down to 11's yet. Hoping for 12's this year. Middle of the T56's at 13.44@ 105.3 with a 1.97 60'. 355, T56, 4.10's. On Nitto 555R's and no weight reductions. Still in the process of dialing in the WOT portions of the tune. Although I think it may be time to give up the Autozone Clutch. Pretty sure it wasn't the tires spinning.

-Brian

#77 ·
You guys can get there... It just depends on how many rears and clutches you break on the way! ;)

#76 ·
I love talking ETs about Big Cars with Real Motors. I get tired of Guys Racing Crotch Rockets, and 2500lb race cars like they are something special. Anybody can build those with the right funds and knowledge. My 61 and 96 Impalas are big and fast enough considered they have not been on diets, Lol.

#78 ·
Impala SS Stocker

Came back from Keystone IHRA ProAm last weekend.

Weighed 4090 on Saturday.
Sunday Q1 run weighed 4045...lowest weight ever!
About a gallon of gas per run...
Miserable day Saturday ran 13.22 and then temperature dropped.
From 95F to 85F then to low 80s
Ran a 13.11 and later 13.09 in same day in competition.
Tough to dial in and Lost 4th round.
DA rose and dropped within 30 minutes.
The wind changed directions and speed.
Very interesting day!

#80 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.