Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 17x9.5 ROH ZR-6's are here what is the fattest meats they will hold?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i know 315-35r17 will fit, their is a guy running around here with those on stock ss wheels.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well....

The 315s will "fit". Hell, pay the tire install guy enough of a "bonus" and they'll make almost any tire fit on any rim :D. However, it will definitely be running the tire on too narrow a rim.

This has several consequences, all bad :
  1. <LI>Puts stress on the sidewall of the tire, causing heat buildup, making pulling a "Ford Explorer" more likely. This can be overcome SOMEWHAT by inflating to a higher pressure, but not eliminated. I would definitely worry about this, especially on a "heavy" car like ours where the tire is gonna be close to at it's load limits anyways<LI>Narrow rim keeps the tire from unwrapping properly, reducing the contact patch on the ground. Not good for traction.<LI>Appearance-wise, the tire won't look at good as it would on a wider rim

For occasional drag use only, you'll probably get away with it. If you're gonna drive it on the street much (and especially if you like to take corners with any kind of "authority"), I wouldn't do it.

If you wanna run 315s, I would seriously look into having the rims widened and then run GOOD spacers as necessary to make the backspacing correct.

Just because it CAN fit doesn't mean it's a good idea

285's fit just fine, and look great. Trust me, I know :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, i might have two impala ss wheels for sale, to widen someones wheels.They are hit pretty bad but if using to widen a rim they will work perfectly!!As a matter of fact, i better pick them up at my buddies house before they get lost ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.