Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some chrome trim rings last fall for my 9C1 that I though looked awesome. That was until it rained a couple times and the rust made them look like crap.

I wanted to get some stainless trim rings, but money is tight (trying to buy a house) and I have concern that they'll come off the wheel.

One day on the road, I looked over at the UPS truck next to me and noticed that the edge of the black wheel was painted silver. I decided it might work on my wheels. It would be cheap and they can't fall off. And if it turned out really bad, I could always cover it up with stainless trim rings.

I masked off the inside and outside diameter of the edge of the rim - about a three-quarter inch strip, and hit it with a rattle can. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out on the first couple wheels. Hopefully, the paint holds up half-way decent. The wheels (and the car) really need to be sanded, repaired and repainted anyway. But being a cheap [email protected], my faux trim rings are working for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's pretty cool, let's see a pic of the whole car with the painted lips.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wonder how it would look painted all the way to the first lip in the inside of the wheel

[ 04-28-2006, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: KW Baraka ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good idea. It might look even meaner with the wheel painted more to the inside of the first lip. But the way it looks now is tight as well. Very creative. Good Job!!

[ 04-28-2006, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: KW Baraka ]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A man after my own heart!!! I'm always looking for a cheap deal or mod. As a matter of fact, I just finished a deal for a set of stock steel wheels with someone for $50 including tires. I was planning on doing the trim ring/center cap route but was concerned with finding a good (cheap) set of rings. Now, I don't have to. That really does look good. Now I can focus my money on getting either 9C1 center caps or baby moons.

Good job and great idea!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks really cool Digital :cool:

Honestly I never knew it would be so difficult for people to find trim rings :confused: I guess I am pretty lucky with the fact that I live in areas that most of the taxi drivers use the on their cabs, so their is usually a pretty good supply of them around(knock on wood!!!) So far it has been 8 mos. since I got mine :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Painting all the way to the first lip may look good too, but my theory was to use as little paint as possible, as I think the more paint you use, the more it's going to look like paint. Right now, at first glance (a week after painting) they really do look like narrow trim rings.

Dragon - I didn't think it would be so difficult to find trim rings either. The set I bought off eBay were cheap, but the weren't stainless and rusted immediately. I was in Cincinnati for work a couple months ago and hit a local u-pull yard and could not find a decent set. I take that back - there was one decent set, but it was on a vehicle that was being sold complete.

Glad you guys like the concept! Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good. Best part is, 98% of people will never notice that it's paint. When my girlfriend got her '59 Dodge, there was a 2" piece of trim missing on one of the doors. Just for kicks, I masked and spray painted that area silver. Unless it's pointed out to them, not a single person has noticed that the trim is missing. One guy still didnt see it even after we told him it was missing :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
originally posted by: DigitalRelay
------------------------------------------------
Dragon - I didn't think it would be so difficult to find trim rings either. The set I bought off eBay were cheap, but the weren't stainless and rusted immediately. I was in Cincinnati for work a couple months ago and hit a local u-pull yard and could not find a decent set. I take that back - there was one decent set, but it was on a vehicle that was being sold complete.
-------------------------------------------------
One of the reasons why I try to stay away from Flea-bay, too many aSSholes passing off junk for outragous prices to people who don't know any better

I grew up with the original Stainless Beauty-rings and can spot the Pop-metal tin junk a mile away

For the first year and couple of months, I had Full hubcaps on my car as I bought it
... I just got tired of looking at all the damage to them
and just ripped them off one day, I first checked out Flea-Bay for some 9c-1 centers for my Heavy-duty rims, but the Cheapest ones I could find were going for $90-100 with $60 for shipping :eek:

I found my set of center for only $40 after tax at a local wrecking yard that gets a bunch of them :cool: They were mis-matched with the logos, but you can remove those and get new ones ;) ...

When I did want trim rings, I found a set of Stainless at a yard that stocks them for the local taxi drivers.. I got those thrown in for free when I got an extra set of Heavy-duty rims for $63.00 after tax :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Time to bring back this thread. It's been about 8 months since I painted on trim rings. They made it through a Wisconsin winter and they still like good. My wheels are a bit battered in general anyway, but I'm still happy with the results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL - Yes, I got the other side done within days of starting the project. I'll get some updated pics as soon as I have a chance to wash the car. Work has been killing me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.