Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to share some of my favorite (low-buck) mods. Also hoping some of you will share some of yours as well.
This one involves "open" breathers,and their tendency to leak oil. Especially,when used in valve-covers without baffles. Carefully cut internal 3/8" pipe-threads inside the standard ¾" breather tube. Carefully so you don't scar yours up,like I did mine.
This will allow a (pipe-threaded) tube to be easily added. Not only does this move the opening considerably lower inside the valve-cover,any oil inside has a far greater chance to simply run back down the tube.
Another potential use of this by installing a brass reducer (with some JB-Weld as thread sealer to the breather tube) is to experiment with different size/shape pieces to reduce the flow of air travelling through the breather. To reduce air flow even more use allen-headed pipe plugs,and drill a hole through the bottom of the opening for the allen-wrench.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another personal favorite is installing a cabin air-filter. Outside the cost of the filter(s) all it cost was a little of my time. The ductwork/vents get far less dusty,as does the cabin itself.
Attaching a slender steel rod inside the cowl near the center of the opening to the interior. A small thin horizontal piece of metal secures the top edge with spring tension supplied by the rod.
For the filter(s) I used Purolater C15388
This mod also prevents animal mischief in the blower motor area, which has been known to occur. Especially,cars that can sit for awhile.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Attaching a slender steel rod inside the cowl near the center of the opening to the interior. A small thin horizontal piece of metal secures the top edge with spring tension supplied by the rod.

The rod for the filter is already there?

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this one came from under the dash on the passenger side,and I cut it to length. Mounted with a single screw. Works really well,easy to change filter w/o tools. I change it once a year,even though it wasn't terribly dirty this time. Some self-adhesive foam around the opening seals it up fairly well.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Works for closed breather systems too. What's under the cap of the breather is a chambered, baffled system as well that allows oil and blowby to drain straight back down into the crankcase for removal w/ routine oil change. PCV system is still 100% intact for gas flow in the proper direction and 100% closed for liquid flow in the unwanted direction.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think this one came from under the dash on the passenger side,and I cut it to length. Mounted with a single screw. Works really well,easy to change filter w/o tools. I change it once a year,even though it wasn't terribly dirty this time. Some self-adhesive foam around the opening seals it up fairly well.
Gotcha. Been pondering how to do something like that but haven't actually attempted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.