Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I would, make sure to verify head gasket thickness .
Not sure if Felpro even makes the ".029"
Thicker gaskets are fine on full builds when you have done piston in hole and decking.
Bone stone reseal, you are giving away compression ratio if the gaskets are thicker than stock.
I might be wrong but make sure you verify the thickness of the head gasket in that kit.

· Premium Member
5,319 Posts
And why do we care ? .010 difference in these cars is roughly .25 points difference , so imagine putting the .050 F-Y body gasket in place of the .029 B body , you'd lose 1/2 a point!!

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And why do we care ? .010 difference in these cars is roughly .25 points difference , so imagine putting the .050 F-Y body gasket in place of the .029 B body , you'd lose 1/2 a point!!
Going higher on the thickness would mean less compression. The thing I don’t know is if I go with a thinner gasket would there be any clearance issues? Going from .029 to .026.

· Registered
2,950 Posts
... don’t know is if I go with a thinner gasket would there be any clearance issues? Going from .029 to .026.
No worries, this has been done multiple times since the early 2000s by numerous bygone ISSF elders with no concerns or issues raised.
Works.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going higher on the thickness would mean less compression. The thing I don’t know is if I go with a thinner gasket would there be any clearance issues? Going from .029 to .026.
Obviously I am not an engine builder I was hoping to get all the right parts together so when I go to do the job which is a reseal on a stock motor with 80,000 miles. Just looking to get all the parts in the party starts I don’t have to go running around in search of. Any other suggestions on that mileage that would be good to address would be appreciated. From what I understand the valve springs are too good. Any recommendations in that department or anything else would be greatly appreciated thank you all.
No worries, this has been done multiple times since the early 2000s by numerous bygone ISSF elders with no concerns or issues raised.
Works.
[/QUOTE
From what I understand the stock valve springs or not too good. Have you changed Valve springs and if so which ones do you recommend?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts