Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, dropped my car off at the body shop today and should know something by tomorrow. With someone just looking at the damage, he said he does think the frame is cracked. I’ve been driving my car around for several weeks since the accident. Isn’t this dangerous? I have always traded for a new car every 2-3 years, until I bought this brand new 1995 Chevy Impala SS. I have never had a single problem from this vehicle and now, it may be totaled. The problem is that I do not want another car - not right now, anyway. I am happy with this one. What should I do? Is my car unsafe? Does anyone have an answer? Also, btw - my insurance co sent me a check for under $800.00 for the repairs!! I had to laugh! It will cost a minimum of $5,000.00 & up, that’s just starters. Not my fault, the other driver got a ticket. I will know more soon. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
1994 Eagle Chevrolet Caprice Alternative Hearse
28 Posts
Wow!
I don't have any answers but it sure is a tough new member intro.
Wishing you the best in getting this resolved. No

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
No way to know the drive-ability of any car without a physical visual detailed inspection. You can't get one fender bondo-ed and blended for $800 much less the kind of damage that could crack a frame. If you've got comp coverage, the smartest thing you'll do is NOT communicate even one word with the 'other insured's' carrier. That's what your carrier is for. Though I'm rather squinty-eyed what your carrier is doing with a check before an estimate. Unless your cashing it represents your agreement to accept some twisted up spitball thrown at the wall for 'totaled' value. KBB currently shows 'Info Currently Not Available' (1st I ever saw that) for the car, but NADA is listing between $7,850 - $18,600 for Lo-Hi Retail.
Keep us posted of progress with ins. and repairs.

Reactions: Hearseguy

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,781 Posts
Yep, dropped my car off at the body shop today and should know something by tomorrow. With someone just looking at the damage, he said he does think the frame is cracked. I’ve been driving my car around for several weeks since the accident. Isn’t this dangerous? I have always traded for a new car every 2-3 years, until I bought this brand new 1995 Chevy Impala SS. I have never had a single problem from this vehicle and now, it may be totaled. The problem is that I do not want another car - not right now, anyway. I am happy with this one. What should I do? Is my car unsafe? Does anyone have an answer? Also, btw - my insurance co sent me a check for under $800.00 for the repairs!! I had to laugh! It will cost a minimum of $5,000.00 & up, that’s just starters. Not my fault, the other driver got a ticket. I will know more soon. Thanks for listening!
The body shop has your answers.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
IFF your frame is cracked, best bet is probably another frame from another Caprice / Impala SS / Roadmaster.

That would be the time to BOX THE FRAME if you plan on keeping it.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
IFF your frame is cracked, best bet is probably another frame from another Caprice / Impala SS / Roadmaster.

That would be the time to BOX THE FRAME if you plan on keeping it.
Is the 9c1 frame different from impala ss,quick ratio steering box hole are in different locations.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Only major difference is that non-9C1 Caprices are missing body bushings compared to 9C1s.

Reactions: green hose

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Is the 9c1 frame different from impala ss,quick ratio steering box hole are in different locations.
No, the holes for the steering box are not in different locations.

Reactions: Blue Bowtie

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, I'm a collision tech...

Once it totals, "Buy it Back " from the insurance company if the shop says it's repairable.

If you "retain" the vehicle, the title won't become salvage.

You can probably buy it back for $500 - $800 bucks.

Then find a donor car and rebuild the front end..

You'll have to have the body shop pull out any frame damage first... but its well worth not having to swap out a frame... thats a big stupid job...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
If you "retain" the vehicle, the title won't become salvage.
Wait a second... What?

This varies by state, but I know that there is often a process of rebuilding/inspection that is required for a car to be registered after a serious accident. The idea is to protect future buyers (and occupants) from unknowingly traveling in a vehicle that is structurally unsafe.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Interesting take. My son got reared in mine and State Farm attempted to total it for $8k. I had it new and v. lo-miler with extras, but it got into the frame so was willing to at least entertain a total. But checking KBB and NADA I informed ins. they show $18k for mine. The snippy lass snorted, "We have our own KBB, no increase", so I said "Ok, fine then just fix it, and I'll be confirming it's to no less excellent condition as before the wreck." I refused any frame machine and had them pay for a frame shipped cx-country. Repair est. came to $11k, $1,500 more 'hidden' and $2k more in parts for me to rebuild my own tranny. No change to my title and the isn. had no car they could wholesale out - at any price. Some zone mngr. type bothered me for why I 'contested their valuations'. I just sent a complete copy of the KBB detail and mentioned they blew both the repairs and the market value, and recommended they get more hospitable and pro-active solution-oriented service representatives interacting with their paying customers. And asked that a notation re: my disagreeable disposition be put in my file to that effect.
Insurance works for you, not the other way 'round. And there's just too many options out there. Any of this hopefully can help the new member OP.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wait a second... What?

This varies by state, but I know that there is often a process of rebuilding/inspection that is required for a car to be registered after a serious accident. The idea is to protect future buyers (and occupants) from unknowingly traveling in a vehicle that is structurally unsafe.
A repaired structure isn't unsafe... unibody or body over frame... (we have 2 frame racks in my shop)

Neither is a vehicle that's repair exceeded 70% of the value (total).

As far as paperwork, it depends state by state...

Most of these laws were lobbied (bribed) into the books by........ drumrolll
you guessed it... auto dealers...

Fixing repairable totalled vehicles is antithetical to the consumer culture of new car dealer capitalists.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A repaired structure isn't unsafe... unibody or body over frame... (we have 2 frame racks in my shop)

Neither is a vehicle that's repair exceeded 70% of the value (total).

As far as paperwork, it depends state by state...

Most of these laws were lobbied (bribed) into the books by........ drumrolll
you guessed it... auto dealers...

Fixing repairable totalled vehicles is antithetical to the consumer culture of new car dealer capitalists.
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying.

I was questioning the idea that badly damaged (totaled) cars could remain on the market without being properly repaired or having their titles amended in any way.

I know that accidents go unreported all the time, but... Isn't there some liability here on the part of the state or the insurance company?

·
Registered
33 Posts
We just repaired a 2020 Camry, it was about a $20k repair.

New rear frame rails, trunk floor, both quarters, rear body panel, decklid....
Pretty extensive repair these days.

Repairs were done correctly by a trained tech...

Is there any difference by doing this to a $3k car?
Are the repairs somehow shady or sketchy because it's an old car that totalled because it's not worth $42k?

Totalled / salvage is simply a Metric tied to value, not safety.

Basically every bodyman drives a repaired totalled car. I just repaired a totalled Subaru for my 15yo son.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
We just repaired a 2020 Camry, it was about a $20k repair.

New rear frame rails, trunk floor, both quarters, rear body panel, decklid....
Pretty extensive repair these days.

Repairs were done correctly by a trained tech...

Is there any difference by doing this to a $3k car?
Are the repairs somehow shady or sketchy because it's an old car that totalled because it's not worth $42k?

Totalled / salvage is simply a Metric tied to value, not safety.

Basically every bodyman drives a repaired totalled car. I just repaired a totalled Subaru for my 15yo son.
I'm not sure how else I could phrase this...

I'm not talking about the safety of cars that have been repaired.

I was asking a legal question about the paperwork aspect of keeping the title clean after an insurance company has documented severe damage. I'm not referring to any particular car.

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
182 Posts
On the other side, I went with my father to look at new/used trucks with him probably 7-8 years ago. In the back of the lot was a new truck that had been rolled over, ( several times from the looks of it). Not a straight panel anywhere, and the frame looked twisted. I asked the salesman what they were going to do with it, and he told me they were going to fix it because it was not totaled. I know I took a picture of it, but that was many phones ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts