Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fender braces are availabe in stainless for the Roadmaster, Caprice and Impala.

Anyone know if the Fleetwood fender braces are the same size?

I cannot do a measurement comparison until Monday as the Fleetwood's at the paint & body shop out of town.

Thank for any input...

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Rearmost hinge bracket mount to forwardmost bolt (both TORX) on the Cady 48", on the Imp 44 3/8". They don't even appear fabbed the same.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
None of the parts are interchangeable. The FW engine compartment is slightly longer then the B-bodies. Even the core support has different headlight mounts.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
You can get an appreciation of how much nose is hanging off the Cady by comparing the frontmost brace bolt.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
OK - I initially had to search to see what you were referring to, and the fender inner brace thing is what kept popping up. To be honest I've never given those struts much notice - was not aware they made them in s.s. Now the part I referred to - now THAT would be neat stamped in stainless!

To answer your question = NO.

Hooking firewall bolt face to center of fender bolt 10 1/2" for the Cady. 9" for the Imp.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the measurement

The vendor can make this if I send an original set for the pattern. I was trying to find out if perhaps they were the same for all the B & D cars as so much is interchangeable when we check carefully. I've one brace with surface rust and stainless seems an appealing alternative to removal, bead blasting and painting. Another thing to think about...

I appreciate you responding.

Richard Snipes

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
It sounds like you'll be back at the car today anyway to finish checking yourself. But I thought of the commonality thing only after measuring and wondered if the longer 'lower' brace for the Imp might accidentally be the same as the 'upper' one on the Cady.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will have to remove braces

To get an accurate measurement I'll have to remove the braces. A cursory measurement seems to indicate each one of the four is different. Considering Cadillac made the inner fender liners from brittle plastic rather than ABS like the Roadmaster and Caprice/9C1 and SS stands to reason this could be the case.

I'm reminded of removing the rear bumper from a 1973 Continental Mark IV. If one bolt would've done the job, there were four and each one a different size! Such is the cost of American "Luxury" I reckon.

May be better to simply refinish the braces.

Thanks, Richard Snipes

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
haha Likely one of untold countenances where designers had to reverse- , or better yet down-engineer flagship extravagance and bloated opulent cues into the confines of BOP and C division start-off designs.

I'll admit they pulled a good try with the XLR. Only 40% more than a Vette, but at least a chintzy interior! Thank god there was never a Saturn-based Cady. MSRP on that little spud woulda' been at least $200k!

Yah, crocus cloth and rattle can on them strut things. Nobody notices them anyway - unless you magenta powdercoat the firewall....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts