Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im bidding on a set of Impala SS wheels with tires on ebay. How did you widing your fender skirts? Pics would be nice to get an idea of what Im gonna have to do, how long would it take? What tools would I need? 10 minutes till the auction is over im excited!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was out bid on the wheels, but still would like to see pics.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 2-B1G-w00ds:
Im bidding on a set of Impala SS wheels with tires on ebay. How did you widing your fender skirts? Pics would be nice to get an idea of what Im gonna have to do, how long would it take? What tools would I need? 10 minutes till the auction is over im excited!
Why do you need to widen your fender skirts????

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most have ground theirs down, but mine--which had to be worked on pretty significantly to clear the 275's--were done purely by bending.

My father actually wanted to do it, and did it for me, using clamps, pliers, and make sure they were bent the most straight inward along the skirt and then also bent in the shape of the handles. Essentially, the large parts of the handles were bent in flat on the skirt as far as they'd go, and one of the "tab" parts on the end of one handle was bent in a L shape inward.

Here's what mine ended up looking like (after also polishing off the rust and painting them):

NOTHING was removed material wise, the handles weren't ground down, and even the plastic tabs were kept the same. Fit and work perfectly, and clear the extra wide tires just by enough.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would have been 100% impossible for me to have put the fender skirts back on without BOTH bending the arms AND cutting off some of the tabs, so your results may vary.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Um Caddyguy-, your plastic tabs have indeed been cut down from OEM length, perhaps by a previous owner. Good metalforming on the remainder of it.

As may be found by searching another of my recent posts, hogged-out UCA frameholes will result in the need for ever-greater and greater clearancing rework as the axle play slop increases.

Wurd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts