Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really liked the Fernco boot for the throttle body to MAF connection. It just looks like you have plumbing parts that belong under your house mounted on top of your engine.

And from what I have heard the longevity in the underhood heat isn't all that great. I just wanted something cleaner and more professional looking.
Here is what I came up with.

I got it from.
http://www.boostcontroller.com/index.php?category=34

I used the 3 1/2" to 4" since I have a F-body maf
They do have a 3" to 4" also.
Total price was $28.00 including shipping.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Fernco boot does get soft and loosens up in time. The T stat housing also molds a bowl shaped mark in the boot also. The IAT hole used to be tight on my old boot, then when the Fernco boot loossend up, so did the hole and it created a leak. I get much better MPG with a new boot. I also cut a much smaller hole for the IAT and the Opti vent on the new boot.

Finding a replacement Fenco boot was a PITA also! No one stocked it locally! I found it on the internet.

How much was that boot? $17 like it says on the site? What sized worked, 3 inch to 4 inch?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem with the Corvette boot is that it's not smooth. Smooth couplers are worth 5-10 hp for LS1 and Mercedes applications.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by sherlock9c1:
At least rotate the MAF so the connector isn't sticking up. It negates the effect of that nice coupler.
Be advised if you rotate the MAF so the coupler is facing down, you might want to get a spare piece of rubber hose, cut it down the middle to seperate it, and put it on the coupler, so if it rubs up against the Water Pump, you won't chew a hole in the plastic

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe Palmer, where do you mount the air tube and air inlet temp sensor? A pic would be cool... or did you mount those on the filter silicone?

Do they have to be placed, before or after the maf?

TIA!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't mounted the IAT sensor yet But there is suppose to be a hole punched it the cone filter for it to go in. Not sure where I will put the Opti vent line. And it isn't mentioned in the SSRI instructions!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by RJI:
Anyone want the Corvette boot. They fit perfect and are very high quality. I have a spare. It's already been trimed to fit. They sell for about $65. I'll go for $25 shipped.
If you get it from Dal, its 40.57 for the boot ;)

Still a good deal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Joe Palmer:
I haven't mounted the IAT sensor yet But there is suppose to be a hole punched it the cone filter for it to go in. Not sure where I will put the Opti vent line. And it isn't mentioned in the SSRI instructions!
Both have a hole in the cone filter straight from Clear Image, and both are mentioned in the SSRI instructions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fyi - just got an email from Ted @bstcntlr. The black 3.5/4 inch is out of stock and won't be available until next week; he has the other colors in stock.

doug - on the lookout for the brown truck in a couple weeks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.