Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a good deal on a FI BL sub in a ported box.Is it really all that its hyped up to be??Right now i will be running it on a jl 500/1 amp but I plan on upgrading it soon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
depending on what you paid.. its a great bang/buck sub.. had a BTL.. was pretty bitchin.

·
Registered
158 Posts
250 for the box and sub.Or...350 for a 13 w7 in a box

i'd take the BL.. one its cheaper with similar specs and probably can handle more power.. TWO- if you blow it, you can recone it.. three- everyone has HAD the w7's.. MEH..

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i'd take the BL.. one its cheaper with similar specs and probably can handle more power.. TWO- if you blow it, you can recone it.. three- everyone has HAD the w7's.. MEH..
This. Fi makes great woofers that can be reconed when/if they're blown. JL - Just Lost.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Are you really MEH at the W7?

The recone price is high, but is worth paying for, I used to laugh at the prices of JL until I experienced it first hand selling Caraudio for a living for the past 3 years. Now I am all for JL... I have customers bring me Slash V1's & w7's that have given them many years of solid use, and amazing SQ - totally worth the replacement. JL won't be going anywhere or selling out anytime soon, causing warrenty issues... The same can't be said for a majority of internet companies - not knocking just being real... I have used it all, zapco, dd, image dynamics, ascendant audio (chad era before the FI buyout) jl, kicker, jbl, fi, re even custom made RE subs from David before they sold out, us amps etc etc... Every company has its highs and lows, and you get what you pay for... But JL is by far hands down the most consistent and reliable audio company out there... Many companies have tried to replicate the W7 - or even over built subs JL and bleh don't deserve to be in the same sentence (less the WX line - BLEH) - this is coming straight from a mouth that bashed and lol'd at JL for years, until I gained first hand experience. JL's customer service is second to none. I am the biggest Zapco and Image fan their is but look what has happened to them, look at JL - 42 new products for 2012 - all improvements over the last - and major improvements on the best SQ sub green paper can buy the w6v3 is here... JL must be doing something right, bash them all you want on price, but in the end you get what you pay for...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Similar specs don't mean **** btw, lets talk about real life performance - that BL can't hold a candle to the w7 in anything other than output. Sorry. There is a gang of ignorance and self proclaimed experts floating around in this section of the forum. On the real, someone needs to come in here and clean this bitch up. JL - Just loss, maybe just lost $ - but just gained years of ear to ear smiles and solid performance. Don't bash what you can't afford and discredit - there are many companies that make fantastic equipment that can beat the W7 in certain categories - but not a single one has built a woofer that can do it all like the W7 can and do so efficiently - the W7 is already completely excessive as it is, anything bigger is teetering on ignorance. Not a single subwoofer company out there has as much invested into R&D as JL - they paved the way give credit where credit is due, all companies have products that are ****, but not all companies entire line is nearing perfection... Hate all you want but if you disagree with me all you want but at the end of the day your dead wrong. Call up Mark Eldridge, Z Davis, Burr Brown, Eric Steven and ask them if JL should stand for just lost, they may humble you rather quickly. I have owned and installed more high end products than a majority of this forum could have dreamed of purchasing - if you don't believe me ask all the OG's on this forum.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't believe anyone who responded claimed to be a car audio expert. I'll tell you, first hand, JL's are overpriced. When buying retail, you can get your hands on a much better sub for less money. Honestly, The FI Q would be one and an ID Max is another, if you can still find Eric Stevens-built ID, although I don't think the company he sold to has redesigned anything...yet. The W6 is a much better SQ sub than the W7. The W6 is actually regarded as one of the better SQ subs on the market. It's probably the only JL I'd own, assuming I could get it for under retail.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you really MEH at the W7?

The recone price is high, but is worth paying for, I used to laugh at the prices of JL until I experienced it first hand selling Caraudio for a living for the past 3 years. Now I am all for JL... I have customers bring me Slash V1's & w7's that have given them many years of solid use, and amazing SQ - totally worth the replacement. JL won't be going anywhere or selling out anytime soon, causing warrenty issues... The same can't be said for a majority of internet companies - not knocking just being real... I have used it all, zapco, dd, image dynamics, ascendant audio (chad era before the FI buyout) jl, kicker, jbl, fi, re even custom made RE subs from David before they sold out, us amps etc etc... Every company has its highs and lows, and you get what you pay for... But JL is by far hands down the most consistent and reliable audio company out there... Many companies have tried to replicate the W7 - or even over built subs JL and bleh don't deserve to be in the same sentence (less the WX line - BLEH) - this is coming straight from a mouth that bashed and lol'd at JL for years, until I gained first hand experience. JL's customer service is second to none. I am the biggest Zapco and Image fan their is but look what has happened to them, look at JL - 42 new products for 2012 - all improvements over the last - and major improvements on the best SQ sub green paper can buy the w6v3 is here... JL must be doing something right, bash them all you want on price, but in the end you get what you pay for...
I mean if you have the cash get the w7.. but for ME.. the bang vs buck just isn't there. No doubt the w7 is a fine built sub with numerous prototypes built within it.. but being its so mainstream and sold at ever car audio shop around the land, of course the price is gonna be high. THUS why I was MEH about it... not that it doesn't perform good. But if i'm paying.. $600-$700 for a new JL 13.5 w7? You have me mistaken. For that much I might look into a DC LVL 5 18" or even a IA DP 21" :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I don't believe anyone who responded claimed to be a car audio expert. I'll tell you, first hand, JL's are overpriced. When buying retail, you can get your hands on a much better sub for less money. Honestly, The FI Q would be one and an ID Max is another, if you can still find Eric Stevens-built ID, although I don't think the company he sold to has redesigned anything...yet. The W6 is a much better SQ sub than the W7. The W6 is actually regarded as one of the better SQ subs on the market. It's probably the only JL I'd own, assuming I could get it for under retail.
I have used it ALL many a time, putting my old school svc idq8's in the doors of my 95 this week. Pairing them with my cd3ultra horns mounted on full bodies. I am very well aware of the w6's performance. My daily is receiving 2 12 W6v3's ported. Yes the v3's, no longer v2 =) My old daily had a 15 FI Q on an MD2D around 6cuft net @ 32hz. DD in it prior to the Q, so on and so forth... I use what I sell, by owning it so I can show a customer why this sub is worth the outrageous msrp is... So a 13w7ae is coming in July, on a 1200/1v3. If I were still managing that shop that sold Image, I would have 2 idmax 12's, but since Eric left meh and I am back at gasp a *mainstream* shop I am even more excited to buy a 13W7 or two.... Active setup on eclipse 8053, arc & zapco for mids/highs powered by an externally regulated Ohio generator alt. I wouldn't switch my old school ID front stage out for anything, maybe to try some ZR800's in place of the IDQ's to compare but thats it...

Btw I am not talking from a bang for the buck perspective, no expense spared on the system for me. Just put a extreme bulk pack on my front two doors. 3 more boxes should help with the rest of the car. Roof Next.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
From your standpoint, it makes sense to use that equipment. There'd be no way you could sell it if someone asked what you were running and you told them a pair of Fi Qs, or ID Max's. I understand that. I also respect the fact that you don't spare any expense for your system. I wish I could do that. There as a time when I did just that. During that time, I picked up a P800PRS and a set of TS-C720PRS components. I'm running an active setup with my 800PRS and I love it. I recently picked up a pair of Tidal Audio REF-TM12.4 subs. They're OEMed by Image Dynamics. They're identical performance wise to the ID12D4v3 subs. I verified this via PMs with Eric on DIYMA because I was skeptical. At $80 a piece, they were definitely a budget sub. They don't get terribly loud, but they blend extremely well and don't localize. I would have loved to have been able to drop the cash on a good alternator but I didn't. Instead, I picked up a junk yard CS144, ripped it apart, cleaned it, and rebuilt it to a 200 amp alternator. I like that better because it's still a "Delco" alternator on the outside. I did spare no expense on Gary's wires though. They look infinitely cleaner than running your own upgraded wiring.

Check out my build on DIYMA...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/build-logs-project-install-gallery/106408-ejschultz-build-log.html

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
thats a sick deal, ID's were great subs for the money when I was working in Lubbock I was selling them for near that price because my boss didn't care hated image and thought rf was better lol he was a moron, so he would let me sell the stuff for whatever I wanted too. Needless to say alot of orders for more image happened while I was there, as well as customers leaving more than happy. Nice job with the a pillers btw

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Thanks. I can't take the credit for the pillars though. I had Bing, simplicityinsound on here, make them for me. I sent him my tweeters, a second set of pillars, a hefty lump of cash, and waited about 3 weeks. I'd love to take the credit but I gotta give it to Bing. He went out of his way to get an Impala to get proper imaging for them. I don't have the skill or craftsmanship to getter pull something like that off.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They offer globs of clean midbass. They compare fairly well to my buddy's SQ system in his GTO. He's running Hertz Mille 165 components off a Massive NX-5 along with a Stereo Integrity BM MKII. I do like my Pioneer tweeters better than his Hertz tweeters though. Mine sound incredibly off axis. They'd be a little bright if they were on axis. His tweeters seem like they never really "come alive" while you're listening to music, if you know what I mean. They're always there, but is seems like no matter what, those 165 mids just out do them, even in his active setup. When you set it up for them to keep up with the mids, they start to distort. When you turn down the mids to match the tweeters, the mids sound dull. And I'm just being picky with them. By all standards, they sound great. I just would have been super disappointed in them had I been the one to drop the coin on them. He's already looking into Hybrid Audio to replace them as he feels the same way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts