Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled up the back seats to clean our 96 SS and the underside of the seats were soaked and moldy so i ripped the carpet back cuz it was soaked. had one hole welded. the other is under the glove box on the passenger side and im goin to patch that with fiberglass. Has anyone done that and if so what tips do you have? Prep materials? Getting rid of rust?

· Registered
938 Posts
I say just slop it on there and make a mess and not worry too much about it looking good if its just your daily driver.... I have a hole in the same spot that I plan on patching the same way... Also spray that rust preventer stuff, it suppose to help it not spread as fast.

· Registered
893 Posts
When I did my front wheel well I just got a grinder tip for my drill and removed all the rust that way, then wiped it all down, slapped the fiberglass sheets and resin on there, and hit it with a few coats of rustoleum primer and black gloss

It's been on there about 3 years now and it looks like it's still holding up fine

· Registered
238 Posts
Best long term fix.... Phosphoric acid etch to get out rust; POR15 paint the area, then fiberglass using resin and fabric. The resin and fabric you can get at Menards, etc. Sand, paint you'll never have a problem again. Don't use BONDO

POR15 paint is expensive but bulletproof, bonds to any rust and cures with moisture.

· Registered
1,115 Posts
POR15 paint is expensive but bulletproof, bonds to any rust and cures with moisture.
Fix it right with POR-15, And you wont need to do it again. Here's 2 pics of POR-15. I did my entire frame with it. Seal the area of the leak and rust from the underside also. Use POR-15 "Marine Clean" and POR-15 "Metal Ready" to prep the surfaces. Por-15 also makes a product called "Por-Patch" for a project like yours.
http://www.por15.com/

· Registered
829 Posts
Best long term fix.... Phosphoric acid etch to get out rust; POR15 paint the area, then fiberglass using resin and fabric. The resin and fabric you can get at Menards, etc. Sand, paint you'll never have a problem again. Don't use BONDO

Fix it right with POR-15, And you wont need to do it again. Here's 2 pics of POR-15. I did my entire frame with it. Seal the area of the leak and rust from the underside alsio. Use POR-15 "Marine Clean" and POR-15 "Metal Ready" to prep the surfaces. Por-15 also makes a product called "Por-Patch" for a project like yours.
Agreed! Great replies! Fiberglass WILL NOT stop rust from expanding! Rust is like a virus and you HAVE TO KILL IT! If you glass areas you HAVE TO get rid of the rust!!! If the rust is not COMPLETELY removed, you WILL be doing this again!

The guy that I got my 240Z from tried to patch a couple of areas on the floors and rear fender wells by glassing over them and they are a mess! I will be grinding/cutting everything out and fixing them correctly (in this case, new floor pans... :( ).

Do it right the first time or you will tell yourself "I should have listened to what they said!!!"...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.