Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally set aside some time to replace the passenger side 1/4 panel on my '93 RMW. Those of you that saw it at Wagonfest know it was long overdue. So I got brave and removed the stainless beltline trim and pulled out the huge chunk of fiberglass under the spare tire. Wow! it's pretty bad.

This is known as the Flintstone Mod I believe.

So then I had to get brave and start cutting out the rusty stuff.

This is all that was left of the lower 1/4 panel. In the top of the picture you can see the rotted fender which I replaced the week before Wagonfest. Just hanging on to it in case I need some metal for patches.

Tomorrow I'm going to start trimming the replacement panel and start welding I guess.

·
Registered
815 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, so after a lot of measuring, cutting, grinding and welding, the new panel is in place.

My welding skills are not the best, but I'm getting better. Luckily most of the welds are hidden behind the stainless belt line moulding. I still have a lot of filling, sanding and painting ahead of me. Plus I still need to make a filler panel for inside the spare tire well. I'm not gonna do it the way the PO did with a 5 pound chunk of fiberglass like this.

I'll post more pics when I make more progress.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That spare tire well looks just like mine did. We used a tire well from a pick-up bed to fill it in, worked real well. I don't know what kind of truck it was, my brother had it laying around his body shop for quite awhile.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should be able to use a simple piece of sheetmetal to finish mine. Although I was kinda tempted to get rid of the spare tire well. Not crazy about travelling without a spare though.

·
Registered
10,975 Posts
I would of zipped the old qr to the back bumper and drilled out the spot welds, replacing the whole lower qr from end to end.. That way you dont have to deal with making the small body line fit with old and the new of the panel( Less body filler) on the squared off end towards the rear.. But besides that, It looks good. Nice work, its good you did it yourself instead of spend a ton at a body shop!:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would of zipped the old qr to the back bumper and drilled out the spot welds, replacing the whole lower qr from end to end.. That way you dont have to deal with making the small body line fit with old and the new of the panel( Less body filler) on the squared off end towards the rear.. But besides that, It looks good. Nice work, its good you did it yourself instead of spend a ton at a body shop!:D
Yeah, that is the way I wanted to do it, but the donor car had a rot hole at the very back of the 1/4 panel. Also the hardware that holds the bumper cover on is probably rusted solid too.

It's hard to find clean sheet metal up here in the rust belt. I could have got a panel from a forum member in the U.S. but getting it would have been tricky.

The way I did it should work ok. It's not a show car, and white is an easy colour to work with.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I should be able to use a simple piece of sheetmetal to finish mine. Although I was kinda tempted to get rid of the spare tire well. Not crazy about travelling without a spare though.
You could use a trailer fender. I did that on, something... May have been my 86(?) OCC.

It took a little work to match the radius of the original hump, but it was heavier steel and it cost less than $20. I just riveted it into place.

Both of mine are rusted just behind the wheelwell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i'm also a close follower of this topic. Need to do mine, lucky it's not as bad as yours. anyway, your way ahead of me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
X2 on the trailer fender the small ones fit right in perfect fit some seam sealer and a couple sheet metal screws or pop rivets then some chipguard on the outside and your good to go
Yeah, I'm gonna drop by Princess Auto and have a look at trailer fenders tonight. Thanks for the idea guys.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got a little more work done today. The spare tire well is all welded in and sealed ready to be painted.

I was thinking about using a trailer fender as some had suggested, but it just seemed like it was gonna be more work than it needed to be. Made a cardboard template of the patch panel, then transfered it to a piece of steel. I welded the two pieces of the brace that holds the spare tire retaining bolt. I also welded it to the patch panel at the bottom.

On the outside I welded on a couple of studs to hold the clips for the beltline moulding. The panel I used was off a Caprice wagon, so it didn't have them. They are supposed to be spot welded on with a special gun, but the only person I know who has one is 50 miles from here. So I managed to tack them on with a MIG. Not the prettiest but completely functional. Here's what the little studs looked like before I welded them on.

The outside is almost ready for paint. Just have some filling and sanding to complete.

Hopefully the weather cooperates and I can wrap this project up soon.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
That looks great!! Good to see the old girl get cleaned up.

A week or so ago I put a set of rear mud flaps on the G-Pa Mobile. I had what I thought was a little surface rust on my driver sided quarter. I took it to my body shop and they were going to scuff, fill and paint it. Turns out GM sealed my drain with drip edge sealer from the factory. I cleaned it out when I bought the car, but I was 14 years to late. When they looked at the quarter closer they began to push a small screw driver through it with no effort.

Ended up cutting a 4"x10" piece out of the quarter, removed all rust from inside, put rust converter in the quarter, and rust proofed it and welded a piece back it. They did all of this on Monday and put it in primer for me to drive it for the week. Then they finisher her up on Friday.

They do wonderful work, I could not come close to their quality. I will stick to under the hood where I cannot screw to much up!!!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guess it's not a hot rod. It's just like my car a "Rot Rod" LOL!

Yeah I made sure to put a new drain hole in the bottom of the spare tire well. I've seen a few of these cars now where the drain hole got covered by sound deadening or sealer.

I'm glad your getting it fixed, your car is sweet.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well the weather's been crappy lately, so it's hard to get any work done. But I did manage to get the spare tire well all finished.

Here it is sealed and painted with some rubberized rocker guard paint.

Then I added some sound deadener sheets, being careful not to cover the drain hole that I drilled.

Tomorrow night I'm heading to my friends shop so I can put the car up on the hoist and finish off underneath. Hopefully I can spray it with the white paint I had mixed and loaded into spray cans.

I'll post more pics when it's all done.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All Done, almost

Ok, so a good friend of mine let me borrow his shop friday night, so I could get everything painted.

It's rained pretty much everyday for the last 2 weeks, so the car is filthy. But this gives you a rough idea of how it turned out. The paint is a fairly good match, however the bumper cover has kinda yellowed a bit. I still have to drill holes and reattach the trim piece at the bottom of the dogleg.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.