Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, at almost 8 years old it was finally time to do a (somewhat serious) stereo in the SS

I probably have about 20 hours into the install (and several hours each from Tully and Trevor Gould)......did I mention I'm one meticulous dude? Came out pretty nice though.

Here is what I did :<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> GM head unit that I already had (out of a 98 Venture Minivan) : lets my Venture rear seat radio controls and Monte Carlo steering wheel controls both still work. Also fader and balance knobs both still work as OEM. I wired it so that when the rear seat radio is activated (or, you fade it all the way to the front), it turns off the subs.

<LI> Line-level converters (lets me wire the head unit into a regular amp).

<LI> Amp : Planet Audio 5 channel amp, 50x4 (RMS) for the mid/hi, and 200x1 (RMS) for the subs. 2 ohm stable as well.

<LI> Subs : Two Pioneer 10" Freeair, firing into the backseat.

<LI> Rear Deck : Infinity 6.5" Components, mounted in stock 6x9 locations

<LI> Front Doors : Infinity 6.5" Components, mounted inside the doors.
[/list]
And for those curious, it added around 30 lbs total to the car. At least it's in back, where it helps cornering and traction

I took a lotta pains to hide wiring. Amp power wire is mounted INSIDE the front fender, so once it's about a foot from the battery you never see it again. I mounted the line level converters and crossovers inside the trunk, on the underside of the rear deck (I took the opportunity to relocate the RCDLR module to the left trunk hinge and hide it's wiring, as well as put the third brake light wiring.....now an LED light.....entirely on the top of the rear deck). Amp and subs both mounted to the Scott William's Trunk Kit Baffle Board. The crossovers (heck, the subs and amp too!) are basically hidden unless you stick your head inside the trunk. Similarly, all four component speakers are hidden inside the car under the stock speaker grilles. If you looked in the interior from the outside, the only sign that it is a "non-GM" stereo is the SkyFi XM Radio receiver on the center console (behind the T56 shifter, in front of the Bonneville seat controls).

I used the power antenna lead from the GM head unit as my amp turn-on wire. Works like a champ!

I can still (just barely) bolt in my spare tire to the stock tie-down using the WADA with stock J-hook and wingnut. It is a 17x8.5" SS wheel with 275/40R17 tire (25.7" diameter).....note that clearance is close enough that it would NOT have worked with a stock-size 255/50R17 tire (27.0" diameter) or the stock 28" diameter steel 15" rim spare!

Sound : still have a little "tweaking" to do (realizing that the stock head unit's lack of an EQ is gonna hurt me some), but it sounds LOADS better than it used to
. Much crisper highs, great lows, and nice midrange.

Total cost : about $700 total in parts (some bought used...I love Ebay!). And like I said, a not-insignificant amount of labor....).

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds nice Ed. Can't wait to crank it up in Tulsa, . . . while I'm driving.
SSee ya there.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30 lbs?! Good lord man... time to take out a seat or something to make up for that lol

Sounds like a nice lil setup ya got, perhaps you could snap a few pictures (head unit, trunk goodies) for us folks who might not see it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm glad your happy with your stereo upgrade. I started the same way but after i changed my stock head unit to an aftermarket headunit it made a world of difference it sounded a million times better.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>perhaps you could snap a few pictures (head unit, trunk goodies) for us folks who might not see it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, the head unit is easy. It looks 100% identical to the stock CD player in a 95-96 SS.

Trunk : I'll see what I can do, once I do a little more cleanup of the wiring.

Vader : no problem ;)

BadaSS : I know it'd sound better with another head unit, but gotta keep at least some projects waiting for next year
. Also, I want to keep (at the very least) the steering wheel controls.....it's doable with an aftermarket head unit, but complicates the install a little. I've pretty much accepted that I'll lose the rear seat controls though once the head unit is swapped....

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be a hell of a mod, but a motivated individual might be able to mod the steering wheel controls into the electronics of a remote to a pioneer head unit. Of course the remote would be slaughtered in the process.
Ed, have you heard a similar system with the discontinued IB4's? I have the IB4's in the Impala, and a set of those pioneers waiting for the 9C1 when I get the time/motivation. Just wondering if you think the pioneers compare to the IB4's?

Peter

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI: There is a module out taht will allow you to use factory steering wheel controls with any aftermarket stereo (provided it has a remote control). The company is PAC.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have pics on the 6.5 Install in the doors. I am thinking of doing this mod but don't know where to start.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Remote : yep, the PAC remote is what I know about to get the Steering Wheel controls to work with any head unit. If the stock head unit hadn't of worked, I was gonna go that route.

Only issue I see is mounting the IR part of the PAC remote so that it doesn't get blocked by my arm or the shifter.

Peter : haven't heard the IB4s

Jaymz : I used the templates that HACK put in the SS Forum Tech Tips section a long time ago. They work as advertised.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
I've pretty much accepted that I'll lose the rear seat controls though once the head unit is swapped....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a head unit with a remote control...and give it to the rear seat passenger
:D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mtl 9C1 : bit more to those controls than that :D

Basically, it's a pretty cool mod. It turns the head unit into a "dual zone" head unit (so to speak). Meaning, the front seat passengers listen to AM/FM on the front speakers while the rear seat passengers listen to (and control) the CD inside the SAME head unit using earphones and the rear seat controls.

It first came out in 97-98 on the Venture and Astrovan (as well as Pontiac, Olds, and Buick clones of such). Since gone into the Tahoe, Suburban, and a buncha other vehicles.

I did this mod way back in 97 (first person to do it in a B-body), and I know a few folks have copied it since.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ed,

Now I know why we have a "Sound-off" this year...lol...working on the BOI (Best Overall Impala) huh...lol...Good Luck and I'll see you in Texas.

Oh, by the way, you probably have no idea who I am. I met you last year at the Impalafest 2K2 when Hack was putting in my "Blink-Blinks". You might remember when we see one another in Tulsa, anyway, good luck with the stereo...I'll ask about the specs next month!

Rob Keeler

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dear god may it not be too late...

cover the infinities int he rear...
mabey they have changed their design, but i had mine in the rear deck and a week later, the cones were gone... I called infinity, and they said that that wass an ACT OF GOD... and not covered by the warranty.

I asked my distributor and he told me that there were a problem with infinities and the sun... Besides that... sounds like fun car..

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Crispix : like I mentioned, I have everything under stock grilles. So, the speakers are covered. Heck, with the trunk closed you can't tell (from looking at it) that it isn't bone-stock speakers and head unit.

Rob : no problem on the stereo. If you want to see/hear it in Tulsa, just ask!

Finally got all the rest of the trunk wiring tidy'ed up last night. Pretty clean, everything is loomed and screwed (hidden) to the underside of the rear deck.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ed- which models for the Infinity components and the Planet Audio amp did you get?

Also- do you happen to have any specs for putting the 6.5 components in the 6x9 holes for the rears- a template maybe?

Also- with all the mods you have done to your car- why don't you have a web site so that we can see all of your hard work--

I usually anticipate your next mod- and the pics and write-up you provide are top notch- Nice job and keep up the good work-

Tom
Toledo, OH
95 DCM SS
94 9C1

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ed- which models for the Infinity components and the Planet Audio amp did you get?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Speakers : Infinity Reference series, 605cs. Surprisingly cheap

Amp : 5 channel, something like 600.5? At any rate, looks like it is now discontinued by Planet Audio. I got it off E-bay.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also- do you happen to have any specs for putting the 6.5 components in the 6x9 holes for the rears- a template maybe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the Crutchfield plates for doing this, but it'd be very simple to just cut the plates out of MDF.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also- with all the mods you have done to your car- why don't you have a web site so that we can see all of your hard work-- <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hell, I hardly have free time to work on the car! Nowhere close to enough to do a website.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts