Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I bought the car it had that distinct "old man smell." You know, the anti-pheromone–a mix of Old Spice and hospital bed– that shouts to every female within a 30 meter radius that something is approaching that will not be able to satisfy any of her sexual needs without having to call a doctor after 4 hours have passed. But hey it didn't bother me, it just reminded me why I got the car for such a good deal!

However, it did bother my new wife....

So on the tight budget that I was I managed to get some great recycled parts:

Here's what I started with:

So as I was waiting for the new carpet to show up from stockinteriors.com (I went with the 8075, just a little darker than stock and I love it), I couldn't resist tearing out the old carpet.

Unfortunately, I then had to drive around like this all week, but it gave me some time to wire up the seats and speakers

But it finally came!

Some places in the carpet hadn't settled by the time I took the pics but it has molded in quite nice. I have decided not to buy the nice floor mats until spring so I don't destroy them on their first winter, so I purchased some $12 Autozone specials.

The caprice seats are currently sitting in my bro's bachelor pad...guess he doesn't mind that old man smell.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
just had to get rid of the caprice stuff!

·
Registered
895 Posts
smell comes from center console,

you need to sell it to me:D ,and get ride of smell for good:)

California hot sun ,release a very highly toxic fume,specially if you are in Sacramento,

but since there is no sunshine in WA ,it is going to be safe here

by the way while you have the carpet out it is good time to put some sound deadner now

I did put some POR 15 and sound deadner when I put my new carpet while back here are some pics
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb309/ahoorakia/interior/?albumview=slideshow

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
by the way while you have the carpet out it is good time to put some sound deadner now
Guess you missed the part where he posted the AFTER pics...smh

Looks good bro! Glad the smell went away. The headliners can also hold alot of the odor too

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...yeah the headliner is next.

I did put sound deadener in during the week that I had the carpet out. it helped tremendously since I run dumps on the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I bought the same carpet kit. I got it direct from the company . It seems good for the price. It did not fit at first right. I had to cut a strip across the front (dash side) of about 3 inches. After that it was a great fit. If you were closer I would take your old seats!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the same carpet kit. I got it direct from the company . It seems good for the price. It did not fit at first right. I had to cut a strip across the front (dash side) of about 3 inches. After that it was a great fit. If you were closer I would take your old seats!
Yeah it did require some trimming but like you said, I am happy with the price.

Honestly, I don't think the smell was coming from the seats as they still smell and look like they are in great shape! I am pretty sure the culprit was the old carpet.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Congrats NARC,

I got rid of the old man/family with kids smell from my car a while ago... and I purchased the same carpet to replace like yours!

Smells nice now.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
welcome back candi, i got rid of the pothead and old person's smell, by putting some febreeze in the door pockets

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
I bought mine from stockinteriors with the mass backing. Total with tax and shipping was $195.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sweet. Did not do to bad at all then. I paid $70 and the box had not even been opened. Guy I bought it from said he ordered it and then recked his b body.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congrats NARC,

I got rid of the old man/family with kids smell from my car a while ago... and I purchased the same carpet to replace like yours!

Smells nice now.
You are going to love it. A lot easier to install than I had originally thought. What color did you go with?

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Oh I DO love it. I had the light grey carpet and put that in about the same time i did my seats back in spring. New carpet and new leather seats makes the interior smell like a new car. And you're right it was easy to do. It's so nice now, that no one is allowed in the back seat. Just me when i want to soak in the glory that is the Impala.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts