Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's been what 4 years since the original group purchase when I bought my uppers and lowers. And I just this past weekend installed them.

I have to say. If anyone is going to replace their uppers. Don't screw around with a gear puller or bushing tool. Myself and a friend (Certified Aircraft Mechanic/Engineer) did for over 9 hours. Just for one side. With 135,000 miles they didn't want to move more than a half-inch.

Tap out the inner metal sleeve, then use a saw-zaw and cut from the center hole straight through the rubber and the outer sleeve. Make sure you keep the blade parallel to the sleeve and you won't have to worry about cutting too far.

When you slice through the outer sleeve (much more quickly than I expected), the whole bushing will POP and jump out of the flange along with your saw-zaw.

I really wish I had done that first but I had to buy a saw-zaw and really didn't want to.

I got the extended kit. I also had to install the lowers first. The uppers just wouldn't align otherwise. I put the HerbAdam's bar on (also sitting in my garage for 4-5 years) but kept the stock front.

I get a clank from the back when hitting a hard bump, and I know everything is torqued to spec. Not sure what that is.

In a hundred miles or so I'll recheck the torques.

FWIW: I did have to release the brake line splitter from the diff-housing, the ABS sensor line from the Stock driver's side Upper control arm and also be very careful about the driver's side emergency brake cable (completely tight with the axle lowered past shock length).

Now I need to make a Z bracket for the brake-splitter and figure out how to mount the ABS line.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug : you're gonna laugh at this one. It appears they finally found my faxed order (the one I kept calling about, and they'd never call back) only THREE FREAKING MONTHS after I placed the order :eek: :eek:

Got the UPS tracking number today. I think it's an understatement to say their customer relations need a little work ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Doug : you're gonna laugh at this one. It appears they finally found my faxed order (the one I kept calling about, and they'd never call back) only THREE FREAKING MONTHS after I placed the order :eek: :eek:

Got the UPS tracking number today. I think it's an understatement to say their customer relations need a little work ;)
Ed, I am guessing that when you said "they" found your order that your referring to Metco. My grand dad use to sell cutting tools to those guys, and he said that they didn't run many Impala control arms and they wouldn't run any until they got a few orders, and they don't have any extras laying around. (I was trying to get a "freebee" set at one time :D ) So they probably just "lost" your order until they could retool. Wish I would have known that you had a set of BMR's that your not going to need in the near future. (done bought a set now)
Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed,
An old drag race nut/mechanic/tech inspecter
told me a trick to installing bushings.
He says to use an air chisel/hammer w/ a round
bit that fits thru the center of the bushing & stops against the back of it. Lube it & line it up, pull the trigger & it pushes, vibrates, pounds & zips the bushing in bbbrrrraaappppp, just like that.bbbrrrraaappppp,yep, that's what he said. Mere seconds to install a bushing. Of course he told me this after my front end rebuild & much hammer swinging.
Is there room above the rear axle to try this method?
Have you ever heard of this? Or just spend the money & get the bushing tool! Or rent Doug's from Ga.

thanks
babyhauler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevin : actually, I was referring to the bushing tool.

Babyhauler : I'd be seriously looking into buying Doug some Stella beer about now ;) . Sounds like your "mechanic" would be amazed just how well this bushing tool works, cause what he's doing still sounds like too much work :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed,
I had a bushing removal tool. Didn't work! I think there was just too much rust build up on the dang things.

Oh I forgot to mention that when installing the PAINTED Metco bushings, make sure you de-paint them. The paint really makes it hard too fit them in the flanges. We did one with a long 2x4 and a sledge. After that we stripped the paint off the second one and just tapped it in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tim : click on the link that B-body builder posted. The tool I mentioon in there does make a (huge) difference over a "homebuilt" tool (which, I have done it on other cars with the "homebuilt" option before).

BTW, this tool installed the PAINTED BMR bushings in about 2 minutes per bushing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by babyhauler:
...it pushes, vibrates, pounds & zips the bushing in bbbrrrraaappppp, just like that.bbbrrrraaappppp,
And my first thought was 'what if that don't work - square one'. There are some jobs that justify a special tool purchase. Diff bushings is one of them.

Ed - had to call Paul to provide another card number. Looking for my order he says "yeah, let me look in the basket here.....yeah, here it is.." and your situation went thru my mind. Sorry to hear about the trouble as my experience was fairly painless. Also worth repeating - spiffy little tool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
huh, looking at those pics (of the tool) I can say the money would have saved me a major headache. I have to wonder though if it'd strip out the same as the 5-ton gear puller did.

Side note: I just noticed that the bushing in the pic has a zerk fitting. Now I'm wondering if the ones that came with the metco's do. I didn't notice either way!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.