Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, there was less selection of tires in 315. A complete set of 275 & 315 Goodyear Eagle GS-C were lots less $$ than my first choice Michelin Pilot Sports, but the performance sure is not there. Kumho 712s would have been great, but no 315, plus I hear they are discontinued altogether?

Anyway, I got a chord showing on a front, so what's best bet out there now in a set that has 315? One search brought up one vote for the BFG KD, Other votes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Available street tires in 315 are the BFG KD, Yokohama AVS Sport, Goodyear GS-D3, Goodyear Eagle F1, Dunlop Sport 8000, and Sumitomo HTRZ.

Stickiest of those in the dry is the BFG KD. It is also completely dangerous in the wet.

Best overall (wet + dry) is the GS-D3.

The Sumitomo is discontinued, and therefore VERY cheap right now on tirerack.com. Downside is that it is, easily, the LEAST grippy of all the tires listed above.

F1 Supercar is way overpriced.

I had a set of the AVS Sports. Pretty good in the dry, sucked aSS in the rain. Would NOT buy them again.

No experience with that Dunlop.

Other alternative is a set of Kumho VictoRacer V700s. This is a Competition tire : VERY sticky in the dry (so sticky it is playing a completely different sport than ALL of the tires listed above ;) , and safe in the rain WHEN NEW (will be dangerous when worn). Price is somewhat reasonable. Downside is tire life will be short : expect 10K absolute tops (and probably more like 5-7K) if you use it on the street.

That said, my "street" tires on the SS right now are a set of V700s :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
....That said, my "street" tires on the SS right now are a set of V700s :D
Nothing like tires that make the car go where you aim it :D !!!!

Black,

I'd be inclined to get the BFG's for a near daily driver......but that's just me
!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll also add that if I just wanted "ok" tires, I'd get the Sumitomos based on price (it should run you under $450 shipped for ALL FOUR from Tire Rack right now....yes, the price is THAT good!). If I wanted "pretty good" in dry and wet (what I suspect you're aiming for), I'd get the GS-D3.

KW : About the last tire I'd buy there is the BFG KD ;) ....note it is the BFG KD, not the KDW (or KDWS) either of which is more appropriate for what you are thinking.

The BFG KD doesn't last much longer than the VictoRacers, isn't nearly as sticky in the wet (new to new), isn't nearly as sticky in the dry, AND it costs $43/tire MORE than the V700.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
....KW : About the last tire I'd buy there is the BFG KD ;) ....note it is the BFG KD, not the KDW (or KDWS) either of which is more appropriate for what you are thinking....
Ed....you're right....I skim read....and assumed
KDSW

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good clear recaps of the (paltry) selection out there. You guys prompted me to go and find the original search thread again and, shor nuf, you'll see that I edited a typo on my original post up top.

The Impala is not a driver, so I kinda favor the aggressive rain patterns more for appearance than just raw traction. And, the fronts wearing out first tells everyone I don't lite'em at every light. So, it looks like the Sumitomo's at exactly 1/2 the price of Goodyear GS-D3 that run $930.

But boy, I'm eyeballing those Yokohama ADVAN A032R (HARD COMPOUND of course). Sorta pricey at $800, but I could of swore I saw them on a Imp in a storelot once. I remember thinking what a strange tire for a street car. Any report cards on them?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+A032R&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=74ZR732R&fromCompare1=yes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get the V700s before the A032Rs ;) .

A032Rs will stick ALMOST as well as the V700s, but cost more. The A032Rs also will drive you out of the car with TONS of road noise (the V700 is relatively quiet.....quieter than the stock SS BFGs). Been in a 4x4 with swampers doing 60 down the freeway??? Well, that's a good idea of what you're looking at with the A032Rs ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered the cheapy Sumitmotos. Can't beat that price with a stick! Thanks for the leads away from some others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.