Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I PLEASE take these squeeky ass shields off without blowing up? At first it wasn't so bad, now it's getting worse....If I "need" them, is there anywhere to buy replacements?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Can I PLEASE take these squeeky ass shields off without blowing up? At first it wasn't so bad, now it's getting worse....If I "need" them, is there anywhere to buy replacements?
you need them , unless you have calf dumps

replace the bolts and retainers and dyno mat them w/ locktite

that was the only way i was able to get them to STFU with my 3 12's

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you need them , unless you have calf dumps

replace the bolts and retainers and dyno mat them w/ locktite

that was the only way i was able to get them to STFU with my 3 12's
Think I'd blow up wolf? If I was to do cut off's and come out the side with my tips would I still need them?

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
Think I'd blow up wolf? If I was to do cut off's and come out the side with my tips would I still need them?
idk

its thick plastic VS the heat of the the exghst pipe.

i would not personally risk it

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I bought a 96 caprice that the kid ran without them, said the tank never got warm. I wouldn't do it either though.

·
Super Moderator
8,898 Posts
After a drive, I can feel the hot air from the exhaust coming up from the rear wheelwells. I would never drive without those shields, especially considering the fact that if you get in an accident, the back of the car just wads up.

Just get under there and fix them. JB weld them, screw them together, use zip ties, sticky-backed rubber pads, whatever you gotta do. You can make them quiet.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
you could always buy some sheet metal (little thicker) and make some new ones too.

Mine bug the crap outta me at idle (bzzzt bzzzt all the time), but my wife usually drives that one so outta earshot, outta mind..:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After a drive, I can feel the hot air from the exhaust coming up from the rear wheelwells. I would never drive without those shields, especially considering the fact that if you get in an accident, the back of the car just wads up.

Just get under there and fix them. JB weld them, screw them together, use zip ties, sticky-backed rubber pads, whatever you gotta do. You can make them quiet.
LOL...guess I'm gonna have to go this route. And yeah I can feel the heat pouring from under the car when i stand beside it...cwm1
On a sorta unrelated note...I have a tick coming from the passenger side of my car under heavy acceleration... If I accelerate gradually, I don't hear it, but if i give her a little too much gas I hear that annoying tick....any clues? Exhaust leak maybe?

·
Super Moderator
8,898 Posts
look at how the exhaust goes near the rear suspension. It may be touching something. Look for shiny marks that reveal evidence of rubbing.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
look at how the exhaust goes near the rear suspension. It may be touching something. Look for shiny marks that reveal evidence of rubbing.
It's not like a banging...just a constant, rhythmatic, tick under heavy acceleration. The heat shields bang and squeek whenever the car rocks or goes over a bump, but this is only when I accelerate hard....

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you hear it when you first start the car cold
Not on start-up or idle. Just when I get on the road and wanna accelerate, like passing somebody. But once I let out of it everything sounds fine...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was getting the most horrible whine in first gear when accelerating from a stop, but only after the car was very warm, as in driven for a long period of time. Based on the symptoms, the finger pointed toward a worn planetary gear set. So I had the trans rebuilt. Guess what...the problem persisted. Could not figure out what it was. So I was under the car recently and just realized that one of the heat shields is hanging loose around the gas tank. Could be some sort of obnoxious resonance coming from there. :( I've got to tie it up somehow this weekend and see what the results are.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was getting the most horrible whine in first gear when accelerating from a stop, but only after the car was very warm, as in driven for a long period of time. Based on the symptoms, the finger pointed toward a worn planetary gear set. So I had the trans rebuilt. Guess what...the problem persisted. Could not figure out what it was. So I was under the car recently and just realized that one of the heat shields is hanging loose around the gas tank. Could be some sort of obnoxious resonance coming from there. :( I've got to tie it up somehow this weekend and see what the results are.
It sounds like its coming from the front of the car...up by the passenger side...

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It could be an exhaust leak at the back of the manifold. They are notorious fro breaking manifold bolts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
you could always buy some sheet metal (little thicker) and make some new ones too.

Mine bug the crap outta me at idle (bzzzt bzzzt all the time), but my wife usually drives that one so outta earshot, outta mind..:D
I had the bzzt bzzt noise too, it was the pass rear heat shield up against my Borla, when we dropped tha gas tank to replace the fuel pump & sending unit we removed the shield and reshaped it so it would be away from the exhaust, now no more bzzt bzzt noise

Tom Dinkel
HERD V.P.
96 BBB

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It could be an exhaust leak at the back of the manifold. They are notorious fro breaking manifold bolts.
What do I do in a case like this?

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Mine started to rattle recently, when I put it in reverse...in retrospect, I think it was the sunshell going out.:mad:

Sean

1 - 20 of 28 Posts