Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

F'ing Heat Shields!!!

3K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Dustan 
#1 ·
Can I PLEASE take these squeeky ass shields off without blowing up? At first it wasn't so bad, now it's getting worse....If I "need" them, is there anywhere to buy replacements?

#2 ·
you need them , unless you have calf dumps

replace the bolts and retainers and dyno mat them w/ locktite

that was the only way i was able to get them to STFU with my 3 12's

#3 ·
Think I'd blow up wolf? If I was to do cut off's and come out the side with my tips would I still need them?

#7 ·
After a drive, I can feel the hot air from the exhaust coming up from the rear wheelwells. I would never drive without those shields, especially considering the fact that if you get in an accident, the back of the car just wads up.

Just get under there and fix them. JB weld them, screw them together, use zip ties, sticky-backed rubber pads, whatever you gotta do. You can make them quiet.

#9 ·
LOL...guess I'm gonna have to go this route. And yeah I can feel the heat pouring from under the car when i stand beside it...cwm1
On a sorta unrelated note...I have a tick coming from the passenger side of my car under heavy acceleration... If I accelerate gradually, I don't hear it, but if i give her a little too much gas I hear that annoying tick....any clues? Exhaust leak maybe?

#18 ·
I had the bzzt bzzt noise too, it was the pass rear heat shield up against my Borla, when we dropped tha gas tank to replace the fuel pump & sending unit we removed the shield and reshaped it so it would be away from the exhaust, now no more bzzt bzzt noise

Tom Dinkel
HERD V.P.
96 BBB

#11 ·
It's not like a banging...just a constant, rhythmatic, tick under heavy acceleration. The heat shields bang and squeek whenever the car rocks or goes over a bump, but this is only when I accelerate hard....

#13 ·
Not on start-up or idle. Just when I get on the road and wanna accelerate, like passing somebody. But once I let out of it everything sounds fine...

#14 ·
I was getting the most horrible whine in first gear when accelerating from a stop, but only after the car was very warm, as in driven for a long period of time. Based on the symptoms, the finger pointed toward a worn planetary gear set. So I had the trans rebuilt. Guess what...the problem persisted. Could not figure out what it was. So I was under the car recently and just realized that one of the heat shields is hanging loose around the gas tank. Could be some sort of obnoxious resonance coming from there. :( I've got to tie it up somehow this weekend and see what the results are.

#17 ·
It could be an exhaust leak at the back of the manifold. They are notorious fro breaking manifold bolts.

#20 ·
Mine started to rattle recently, when I put it in reverse...in retrospect, I think it was the sunshell going out.:mad:

Sean

#28 ·
You can also get the spray on underliner and sound dampner that is sold by Duplicolor. Its pretty heavy stuff, i used it on the back of my door panels, works good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.