Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know some of you will be against this...but I really want to do the de-wooding, removing the wood grain, to my White RMW (now Caprice Wannabe)
Since my wife (Holly) is away this weekend, I will begin shortly!! (Heck it will keep me out of trouble :rolleyes: )

Here is what I want to do since I can't afford to have the holes and studs dealt with at this time....

*De-wood all around
*Remove all rubber strips from the chrome (keep them as spares for my Driftwood RMW)
*Strip the upper wood trim down to the stainless underneath and let it shine along with the bottom pices

I'll post pics of my progress later today :cool:

ps. Fred, you sold me a heck of a wagon
Thing runs like a champ!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good luck ! get your heat gun out and a bowl of ice for your fingertips. I used a rubber mallet to get some of the trim pieces off. Tap them foward and then they just pop off. If you don't have a heat gun, grab one at your local home depot for 20 bucks. Never used it again, but if you do it this way, you won't have any glue residue to deal with or at least very little to deal with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Those are the tools I am using

HOWEVER....(11:30pm)This issue came up and I remembered a previous conversation with wife..

" So you won't have to paint under the wood?? It is all white? Because if it isn't it will look stupid and YOU know we can't paint it... right..."

:(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it is 3:00 and I have to get ready for a gig...so this is all I will do today
I still have the pass side to do.

Think I might just have to forget about putting the trim pieces back on since I have that brown paint to deal with :mad:

This is fun

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 95wagon:
Remove door handles and locks.

Careful wet sanding and compounding?
You think? Clearcoat is over the brown paint, do they put an extra coat on before they add the wood? whitepaint/clearcoat/brownsplashes/clearcoat

Or is it whitepaint/brown splashes/clearcoat?

I will remove the handles and locks and paint
them black.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. Answer a question. Were your thin trimstrips stainless or aluminum? Mine were definitely not stainless steel, but most folks talk about them as if they are. Mine were extremely soft for a start, easily "brushed" with steel wool.
Ya can't do that to stainless steel without a lot more hard work...
Simon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I made the mistake of assuming the brown was blown over the white and clear like I had seen on other ( not 91-96 B wagons) cars.

Sorry for getting your hopes up.
Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used black primer on mine, but my wagon is very dark blue almost black. How about some duplicolor white spray touchup stuff ? to white trashy ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work, it still amazes me how much the wood breaks up the white. The area that the wood covers doesn't seem like much at first glance, but removing it really makes things WHITE. Keep posting on your progress.

Scott

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now THIS is why I avoid wood wagons like the plague. Sooner or later, (sooner in your case, Chris) the urge comes to "get the turtle out of its shell". I had an '83 Custom Cruiser I de-wooded, but without the brown spots, and the top mldgs were already stainless. How about some careful rubbing w/laquer thinner on those brown spots? I would paint BOTH the handle buckets & top mldgs WHITE. I saw a cab in Miami done like that & I had to do a double-take to notice that it wasn't a WB4. You might try some hot water under pressure to blast off the wood-grain mylar film from the top mouldings to reveal the good base tan paint beneath that will readily accept a white top-coat. Of course polished stainless would look good, just much work, Charlie Costello did that on his white wagon, then painted the sides DCM w/de-rubbered lower mldgs, very retro-looking. I would keep the black side strips on, or perhaps get an aftermarket white self-stick roll of moulding in the appropriate thickness to apply. Good luck, Chris - any way you slice it, it's gonna' look good and you'll have a project on your hands, but that's what we do here!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys
I will keep posting as I go.

Gerry, I was thinking about your earlier comment you made when I first got the "beater" wagon. You were right (Lol)

It is a project! I was hoping to do the springs/rockers on my Tan RMW before Aug, but it looks like that will have to wait since I got the urge to "let the turtle out"

I will try the thinner idea, and I do think that the handles would look better white.

Frank, would you say that those top pieces are stainless or alum?? I never even thought about painting them white....

Man I have to admit that it kinda looks sexy without any trim on!!! I might visit a bodyman I know to see how much it might cost to grind and weld and spot in some white......

We can all be as fortunate as Fred and Frank, but I can give it a try

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you don't try to de-wood the passenger side and find all that bondo I packed under there.

Kidding!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know what they wife said but it might be the perfect excuse to two tone it.

It wouldn't cost much to just paint the area where the wood was and you could paint the trim to match.

Might look really good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by The_Whale:
I know what they wife said but it might be the perfect excuse to two tone it.

It wouldn't cost much to just paint the area where the wood was and you could paint the trim to match.

Might look really good.
I've thought about doing either that or just painting all the thin trim moldings body color (Medium Adratic Blue in my case).

Brokecello,
How difficult was it to use the heat gun? (and what exactly is a heat gun?) Did you have any trouble getting the trim strips off?
-Tim

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.