Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of a fire control system for daily drivers. I'm sure there's somethin' for pro-racers, but it's been on my mind lately. I saw what looked like a Nissan Altima with an engine fire as I drove to pick up a burger. At the time it wasn't that bad. Coulda put it out with a home fire extinguisher. Couple min later as I returned later saw it(Altima), a burnt wreck on the street. Now I'm not upset bout dude's car, but it got me to thinkin'. I'd wept like a school girl if that had beed my sled. So if anybody's got an idea give a shout.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I thought about this same topic when I saw a video of a buddy's SS catch fire during a burnout competition. Nothing really bad happened, but when you see the track dorks run out and start spraying water on glowing hot Movit Rotors you cringe!

I thought I read somewhere that people have dry extinguishers with a simple pull cord into the drivers reach. A fire in the engine, you pull the cord and the extinquisher sprays all into the engine compartment.

Never seen anything online though, maybe call Summit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a place here in Indiana that does race cars. I even saw a motot home he did once. If you ask me its a little overkill for the street. I think your money would be better spent on a good fire extinguisher. You never know where a fire might start and that gives you some options as to where it can be used, as opposed to something that covered the engine bay only.

If you are interested in something automatic (most cars catch on fire after they are shut off and you have walked away), there is a company called ADX that makes an extinguisher with a soldered link. The link melts and the bottle discharges. If you want more info I can get it for you.

Chad

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I posted the same query at NAISSO and got a hint to check out Summit. They have halon systems for sale 'tween $200-500. I realize an extinguisher is important and I carry one, but I also realize that sometimes you don't want to get that close or can't. Coprice, I appreciate the help and have e-mailed ya for the link. Thanks again ya'll!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firetrace innternational has developed an automatic fire detecion and suppression system for engine compartements and other small spaces .the firetrace system are designed to detect and extinguish open flames instantly and are self contained requiring no electricity or other external power source.a canister of fire suppression agent (fm-200,co2,dry power or foam)is connected to fexible polymer tubing routed through the engine compartment.the tubing ruptures when exposed to an open flame,dousing the blaze. for more info see www.firetrace.com or call (866)607-1218 :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.