Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the first engine I have ever rebuilt. I did it all with a LT1/LT4 rebuild book and help from this forum. It started with a 120K mile LT1 from a 97' Firebird. Tore it apart, had the block checked cleaned and honed and installed the following:

New bearings
Stock crank
Stock rods
stock pistons
New Rings
High Volume Oil Pump
CC503 Cam
Pocket Ported Aluminum Heads
Beehive springs
CC 1.6 RR's
CC Hardened PR's
Comp R Lifters
Lucas 30lb injectors
CIA Tri-Y Gen 1's
Prof Products 58mm TB
ARP Bolts throughout...

To go with this engine I also rebuilt/repaired my first transmission. Not a full rebuild but I replaced what I could see as worn parts.

New Pump
Hi-Perf 2/4 Band
Raybestos Z-Pak 3/4 clutches
Upgraded 29 sprag
Beast Sunshell
TransGo HD2 Kit
Yank SS3600 Stall

I put all this stuff together over a year ago but the car it was intended for was stolen and it took a while to find a replacement.......CAR!

Some of you may remember my parts hunt and have even assisted with assembly Q's and Advice.

Thank You

Jerry

Got it fired up then ran out of daylight. Open headers right now but sounds bad ass. Love the cam idle. May have to replace the waterpump as it is steaming ffom the weep hole. The throttle seems to be sticking open so I'll have to check some things there.

http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm259/Gus-A-Gus/Cars/Impala/?action=view&current=057.mp4

Sorry for the long post and huge pics but hey, I don't post much, so deal with it!!!!

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,511 Posts
Sounds sick. Congrats on the successful build!

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Nice build

Jerry, I would add a HD trans cooler. With the 3600 TC you're going to have higher trans oil temps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jerry, I would add a HD trans cooler. With the 3600 TC you're going to have higher trans oil temps.

Will do, this is my first auto with a stall so I would like to play it safe. Any recommended brand/mounting location?

I see you have the ss3600 as well, how do you like it? Is it normal to require a lil bump of the gas pedal to get the car moving? As stated, this is my first high-stall converter so I am not sure what to expect.

Haven't been out of the driveway yet but hope to after work!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Yea, the high stall loves more throttle to get her going. The yank 3600 is a fantastic TC. Love it.

Also, if you're going to sit in a lot of traffic, throw it in neutral.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70266/

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took it for a drive to the gas station when I got home from work!!

Open headers as I have not put my exhaust on yet, boy this thing is loud!!

Not tune on the computer, idleing a lil low-600rpms and wants to stall when I come to a stop. Should I turn up the idle screw or should a tune take care of this?

Throttle is still hanging open once in a while, I may just put a return spring on the throttle body???

I know I am new to High Stall converters but this thing will take some getting used to, makes it feel like the trans is slipping bad...Maybe it is??? Didn't get a chance to really flash the converter yet, want to make sure everything is good first.

Passed a CHP Officer on the way back with no hood and open exhaust, The look on his face, LOL. He wanted to turn around so bad but was stuck in traffic heading the opposite direction. Guess I'll bolt the exhaust up......

·
Registered
84 Posts
Couple questions for ya,im pretty much doin the same to my 95,i spun a main bearing on the crankshaft,so i bought a rebuilt lt1 bored to a 355,it has performer lt1 heads and cam and ported intake and tb,im thinkin about higher lb injectors and since you have 30's did u have to have your computer tuned for the more fuel,or is a 30 lb more fuel or just higher pressure,im new to all the performance stuff as my 95 was stock,also with the added hp is the tc change necessary? i was thinkin 2500 stall,but its just a wkend driver and not a race car but i will let the hoses run now and again,let me know what you think

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Jerry, I would not be driving it until you have a proper safe tune (no more than 30 degrees timing WOT) and the TPS sorted out.
The 503 is very aggressive on the valve train.

If not, you could destroy your engine because of detonation and your trans because of improper line pressure.

Here is a tech article on how to properly adjust TPS:

http://www.golenengineservice.com/html/tps.html

As for the external HD trans oil cooler, you can get one from NAPA too. I understood the stock trans cooler was internal, inside the radiator.
Either way, bypass or replace the tran oil cooler with a large HD fined external cooler. Talk to Nab aka Blue Wail about the setup. He did mine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic!!!

Point taken, will send in for a tune ASAP and thanks for the adjustment article, looks like exactly what I need to do.

As for the cooler, my car, as I believe all SS's do, has both an internal and external transmission cooler. However, the heavy duty unit may be best for my application.

Thanks again for your help

With the TPS/Blade adjustment, could it still be required to drill the idle air hole on 58mm TB's? I remember reading about it a couple years ago but would like to avoid if possible.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
I did not need to do any drilling or cutting with my BBK TB. I just had to adjust the set screw for the throttle cable linkage until I had proper voltage.

Try that first.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adjusted the TPS, Idle is good, no more hanging throttle, and the trans is a lil more responsive!

Just filled out my order form and paid for my tune (PcmForLess) and will ship out my spare PCM Friday Morning.

Not real sure about the transmission, seems a lil sluggish still, may be starting in second......

Went to install my LT4 knock module and and noticed the module already in the PCM was a LT4! This was odd as the Engine I removed seemed to be completely stock minus Edelbrock VC's and a K&N Intake with a descreened maf.

Thanks again for all the info and if I am missing something, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts