Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I visited the the dyno machine at JD's performance automotive in huntingdon valley pa. with Bryan Herter on saturday....here are some of the numbers we pulled .....

first pull without programming for the new motor was:

282 rwhp

the fourth pull with programming between every pull:

301 rwhp

Bryan herter's programming is awesome, and although we are friends and in the same car club togther, it never ceases to amaze me what a prick he is when we dyno my car!

HAHA...only kidding, he is a class act and i have the utmost respect for his talants, and consider it a privlege to know him....okay, enough ass kissing.

i think rear wheel torque came in at around 320, but i dont have the sheets in front of me right now.

stock iron heads with pocket porting and a three angle valve job are on the car now, but i am shooting for the two stage aluminum combo motorsport heads in a few months and should be able to squeak out another 20-30 horses at the rear wheels.

although my engines dyno numbers are not that impressive, they will get better as the motor loosens up a bit, and now that the pcm has been dyno tuned, the car is running unbelievably strong, and i cant wait until march 22nd to flog the crap out of her at cecil county.

see you there,
ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sounds good there crazy man! Your running the Hot cam aren't you? Bryan is the man though. Still hoping to get a tune with him before Tulsa.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MadMav:
Sounds good there crazy man! Your running the Hot cam aren't you? Bryan is the man though. Still hoping to get a tune with him before Tulsa.

Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey mav,

your right, i have the hot cam and 1.6 rockers.......bryan figured at the crank the horsepower is about 375.

i am completely happy with a 355 making 375 at the crank.

if bryan makes the move to vegas, he will be sorely missed on the east coast as he has made many friends on this side of the country....our loss!!

when he gets his hands and brain on your car, you will definately feel the difference.

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where in the hell is that bottle neck at in your system? Cause those HP look good, but the TQ is pretty low...

But at least now the car sounds better than what it looks ;) ... just razzing ya
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"i am completely happy with a 355 making 375 at the crank."

Come on now, you can't be happy with that! Spray some funny gas in it and then smile like this-----> :D

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey nory,
i think the heads are the problem with the low torque numbers.....i went by memory when i posted that number, if it is any substantial difference.... will post the correct numbers.........but, for what its worth, they are just numbers on a piece of paper, and i am really happy with the way it is performing.

hey mav,
keep it down a little bit will ya.....if my wife hears you talking about the spray, i wont be able to sneak it past her!!
i am trying to figure out a way to tell her that i am doing the spray on both cars because they wont run without it[she drives the 96] but, my father in law is a motorhead, so, she may mention it to him and then i would be busted......anyways, i am still in the planning stage with nitrous and i have not decided on that addition yet.

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What other mods do you have?

K&N intake, 845 cam, ATR dual, Edelbrock shorty headers, F-Maf, SLP converter, and Bryans programming got me 297RWHP/330RWTQ. Stock heads, rockers, and 48mm TB.

I though the HOT cam would be more near 320 or so :confused: Nevermind the extra 5ci. How many miles on the rebuild?

I'm hoping to see 315RWHP with some combination #914 springs, and 1.6RRs :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gbelli:
What other mods do you have?

K&N intake, 845 cam, ATR dual, Edelbrock shorty headers, F-Maf, SLP converter, and Bryans programming got me 297RWHP/330RWTQ. Stock heads, rockers, and 48mm TB.

I though the HOT cam would be more near 320 or so :confused: Nevermind the extra 5ci. How many miles on the rebuild?

I'm hoping to see 315RWHP with some combination #914 springs, and 1.6RRs :cool:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

rammit intake, F body MAF, clear image quad headers and 2 1/2" straight back....no cats, 52mm throttle body, trans specialties 3000 stall, 373's, GM Goodwrench 4l60E with shift kit manual valve body, and a corvette servo, LT4 EGR, LT4 knock module, all sensors less then a year old, MSD Box and wires, ngk tr-55's, custom built drive shaft, etc. etc.

if the heads had been polished and ported instead of just pocket ported, bryan said it would have squeezed out another 15-20 rwhp.

i checked my dyno sheets and the rear wheel torque was 337.5 on the last pull.

i spent alot of money n the bottomend knowing that down the line if i wanted to go to a better heads cam setup, i would have no worries.

anyway, once again i will say that after driving around today, i am completely happy with the performance and dont feel that i will be doing anything else to the car......
that my wife will find out about!!

HAHA!!

i love the thump that my hot cam spits out of the tailpipes, in fact, after my final dyno pull, they were pulling the car off the rollers and bryan said they asked him "are'nt you going to smooth the idle out for him?"......bryan looked at me and we both started cracking up......HELL NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

everybody keeps asking me if the car has a big block in it before asking what is in it.

i am going to buy these exhaust cutouts that have a butterfly built into the and are operated electronically from a switch on the dash that opens the butterflies on both sides for open headers type sound and performance [even though open headers suck at the track on these cars].........perfect for pulling into carshows, as well as intimidating ricers and old ladies at traffic signals.

i am a little long winded tonite....sorry!!

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just for comparison, with my Hotcam setup and 1,500 miles on a complete rebuild I pulled 325rwhp. That was with some minor pocket porting, short side radius, 3 angle, and port matching on aluminum heads with stock valves.. I'm now running some Stage II's from CM and am hoping for atleast a 20rwhp gain, pushing be into the 350rwhp range. I think it would be impressive to see a Hotcam make those #'s with 350 cubic inches.

-Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Best electric cutouts for the money.

They have 90 degree positive stops and metal gears.

Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks mav......
the ctouts i was looking at were around $249.00 for the pair.
the dmh cutouts are alot cheaper and look like they perform the same way.

i emailed them asking if they would fax me some more info.......i am just wondering what kind of leakage occurs when they are closed.

hey spartus,
those are some excellent numbers.....do you think that aluminum heads would have made a difference with my setup?

i dont want the numbers to drive me crazy though.......i'll see how well she performs at cecil county raceway in maryland in a couple of weeks.

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>i dont want the numbers to drive me crazy though.......i'll see how well she performs at cecil county raceway in maryland in a couple of weeks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That really is the "true" test... Dyno numbers are nice and good for tuning in some cases... but take it to the track to see what it's really made of!!!!

You can't beat that ricer on the street by holding your dyno sheet up to the window!!!! :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rustic:
That really is the "true" test... Dyno numbers are nice and good for tuning in some cases... but take it to the track to see what it's really made of!!!!

You can't beat that ricer on the street by holding your dyno sheet up to the window!!!! :rolleyes:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey rustic.......

after falling to the floor laughing at your comment about holding up the dyno sheet so the ricer could see it, i had to respond to your signature...

although we both have the best of both worlds with an SS and a 9C1.....your caprice is flogging the track at the same numbers my SS does, and your SS and my 9C1 are in the same ball park....my fast time in the caprice is 13.51 with a 2.23 60'.....my traction issues will hopefully be resolved at cecil county in a couple of weeks.

holding up the dyno sheet.....now thats comedy!!

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ed, they say it doesn't leak at all. Check out this short thread on Z28Camero.com.

Here.

Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey mav,
thanks for taking the time to get me some info on these cutouts....i apprecate it!!

i am definately ordering a pair this week.....from what it sounds like, the Z-28 guys really like the DMH [?] brand and they are very reliable.

i am glad this thread moved away from my pitiful dyno pulls, to some info everone can use.

now if i could just figure out how to use unfunkyufo's mom to add some horsepower to my car, i would be set!!!!!

HAHA!!!

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem Ed. Even though people have problems every now and then, don't mean we can't take care of each others cars. :D
I am still thinking of getting a pair of these cutouts. Maybe I will wait until I hear from you.

By the way where has Jeff been? He's been rather quite lately.

Mav

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rustic:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It really works though! Tell'm how much HP you make, and they drive right off. ;)

ED, A good set of ported Aluminums would surely help your 1/4 mile #'s.. Especially the weight savings up front, and the better weight transfer.

CM probably ported 10 lb's of aluminum out of my heads, they were a lot lighter than the ported ones I pulled off. :eek: It was nice to have the push rods holes opened up on the CM heads too.. My other Alumunums didn't have that. Some weight difference was due to casting variation though too.

Maybe I'll be able to get you some TRACK times before your purchase of your CM heads to help on your decision.. I'm still a little concerned that the port volume will be too much for my HotCam, but my SOTP meter and track times will be the tell tale story.

Hey, what size TB and MAF are you running? I picked up 15 or so RWHP by switching over to the 52mm TB.

-Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No problem Ed. Even though people have problems every now and then, don't mean we can't take care of each others cars. :D
I am still thinking of getting a pair of these cutouts. Maybe I will wait until I hear from you.

By the way where has Jeff been? He's been rather quite lately.

Mav
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey mav,
jeff has a new job driving a fuel truck....he works from 7pm till he is done, usually around 6-7am
i am waiting for the guy at DMH to call me back today so i can place my order....i'll post my feedback on the cutouts as soon as i get a chance to use them.

hey spartus,
i have a 48 mm throttle body that has been ported to 52mm...

i also have an F-body MAF......

i'm not freakin out over my dyno numbers, i knew that a better set of heads would have helped, but i will do that later this year.

ED

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice numbers Ed, I predict they will go up 10+ hp&tq with some loosening up of the new engine.

When I was pulling 302 HP and 330 lb/ft of torque (stock iron heads) SSONIC would run 13.50's in good air with 3.73's and the S-10 converter, since your ride is probably a bit lighter (9CI with the Al heads) you'll probably be a tenth or two faster. Let us know.

Good luck

P.S. Spartus, ready to go to the track, eh?!? :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.