Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My electrical door locks on the White Elephant (92 OCC, the bane of my existance) would intermittantly lock the doors when I pushed the unlock side of the switch. I found that the remote module has a path from the unlock side to the lock side of the wiring if a relay is shorted internally. I changed the remote module, and now the locks work correctly.

I suspected this as the problem for a while, but just recently had the opportunity to check the wiring diagram in the FSM. Finally I can use the door locks as they were designed. One of these days I will get around to programming the car to my remote. I am going to put both car on the same remote, so that I do not have to carry 2 with me.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Got two questions for ya Fred.. Where is that module located on a 92, under rear dash?

And the other.. Ive noticed that my unlock doesnt work when I hit my alarm keypad (inside buttons work fine). But now that its getting cooler in the morning, the unlock works for awhile. Does that sound ground related?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Before I found an intermittant ground in the trunk, in the rain, my locks would operate on thier own.
Was also alerted to this as, when I pushed my remote trunk release, the license plate light glowed dimmly.
Dont ask me to explain any of THAT.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before I found an intermittant ground in the trunk, in the rain, my locks would operate on thier own.
Was also alerted to this as, when I pushed my remote trunk release, the license plate light glowed dimmly.
Dont ask me to explain any of THAT.
You think that is spooky, my brother had a 73 Plymouth Fury with a 440. One day he went to start it, and it would go click and the headlights would come on dim...It was an engine block ground for the battery. The engineers, in their infinite wisdom used a bolt that went through to the water jacket. It got rusty and lost the ground. The starter was trying to find a ground through the headlights.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OMG THANK YOU. i have that same problem. and it just so happens i have a spare module. how do you program remotes and where can i get some, was not give a set when i bought the car.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG THANK YOU. i have that same problem. and it just so happens i have a spare module. how do you program remotes and where can i get some, was not give a set when i bought the car.
I have an extra chevy, and an Olds remote for $15 each shipped, and may be able to get another one.

I do not know what model car you have. The sedans have a wire in the trunk, on the driver's side, and the wagons are supposed to have a wire on the passenger's side of the D pillar.

You have to ground the wire, wait for the locks to cycle, then push any button on the remote(s), wait for the locks to cycle, if you have 2 remotes push the second one and wait for the locks to cycle, remove the wire from ground, and you are programmed.

If you program only one remote, and obtain another, you have to go through the whole sequence from the start.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do not know what model car you have. The sedans have a wire in the trunk, on the driver's side, and the wagons are supposed to have a wire on the passenger's side of the D pillar.
"Supposed to" is right, mine sure isn't, don't know about others.
The '92 OCC FSM shows the wire on the right rear D pillar and after taking it off and searching with no luck l removed the left side quarter trim panel and the wire was right there in the area behind the tail light.

One tip, if you remove all your tools and junk from the locking storage compartment in the panel beforehand it makes it a lot lighter and easier to handle when you take it off. I wondered why it was so heavy. :eek:

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Supposed to" is right, mine sure isn't, don't know about others.
The '92 OCC FSM shows the wire on the right rear D pillar and after taking it off and searching with no luck l removed the left side quarter trim panel and the wire was right there in the area behind the tail light.

One tip, if you remove all your tools and junk from the locking storage compartment in the panel beforehand it makes it a lot lighter and easier to handle when you take it off. I wondered why it was so heavy. :eek:
20-20 hindsight is really great to have.

There are a lot of "mods" that GM made on these cars from one year to the next, and sometimes changed back the next year. I even think some of the "mods" were instituted at random by the indivuals on the assembly line.

·
Registered
11,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you remove the rear panel with the compartment in it, you can see if it has a remote module. The remote module is a black box with two connectors screwed to a bracket behind the speaker.

If it has the box, then it came with remote lock/unlock. If it has the connectors, then you can hook up a remote box. If it does not have the connectors, you will have to do a tremendous amount of work to get a body harness to include the wiring for the remote box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts