Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am deleting my oil cooler lines, so I need to plug my aluminum radaitor. What type and what size plug will I need to get this done? I believe it will be an inverted flare plug , but what size and what thread count. Thanks

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Its 3/8" inverted flare male plug.

Nab

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I see that Summit sells them.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lowe's locally had some, any place that has decent hardware selection should have plugs.
Sure wouldn't pay an inflated price and shipping for them.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lowe's locally had some, any place that has decent hardware selection should have plugs.
Sure wouldn't pay an inflated price and shipping for them.
This I know all to well. But I am fortune enough that Summit is 5 miles from my house and they only want $2 each for the plugs

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'm not a 100% sure on this but think the engine oil cooler lines going into the rad are larger than the Trans cooler lines which are 3/8" inverted flare. I only say this cause the oil cooler lines are 1/2" and the Trans cooler lines are 3/8".

Don't really "need" to plug those as it really won't hurt to just leave the ports open. I run the ext 9C1 cooler on my car which bypasses the in-rad cooler. I just used some rubber plugs to block off these ports so dirt/bugs don't get in there. But if you are concerned with looks, a nice plug would certainly look better.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just checked a spare Radiator I have and both the Engine Oil and Trans Fluid Cooler fittings are the SAME ---- 3/8" inverted flare.

Not sure why they step down the 1/2" oil cooler line down to 3/8" oil cooler other than convenience/cost. May not matter much but maybe another reason to run the Ext. Oil Cooler since it's 1/2" the entire way.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked a spare Radiator I have and both the Engine Oil and Trans Fluid Cooler fittings are the SAME ---- 3/8" inverted flare.

Not sure why they step down the 1/2" oil cooler line down to 3/8" oil cooler other than convenience/cost. May not matter much but maybe another reason to run the Ext. Oil Cooler since it's 1/2" the entire way.
Thanks 4DoorSS you are always a great source of info!

·
Registered
976 Posts
also depends on radiator some aftermarket are not 3/8" but use adapters.
so if you're radiator isn't OEM could be different.
like the spectra I recently bought.
trans side is 3/8" oil cooler is not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts