Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Simply put you my not have the engine hot enough to turn the fans on. The othr possibility is the ect in the water pump is out of range but hasn't failed yet. Such as the pcm thinks its coldr than it really is. This would be the work of excessive resistance. Pull the connector from the sensor on the front of the water pump. Is there corrosion? If so, an ect and/or a pigtail may be in order.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simply put you my not have the engine hot enough to turn the fans on. The othr possibility is the ect in the water pump is out of range but hasn't failed yet. Such as the pcm thinks its coldr than it really is. This would be the work of excessive resistance. Pull the connector from the sensor on the front of the water pump. Is there corrosion? If so, an ect and/or a pigtail may be in order.

Chris
Question what's a pigtail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If i do that will my cooling fans start working.:confused:
The AIR pump disable procedure is only for the AIR pump. It has no effect on the cooling fan operation. I was answering your question about why your pump wasn't running with that.

Why are you so concerned about the cooling fans? Is your car overheating? A quick test of the cooling fans is to unhook the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor at the front of the water pump with the car running. Both fans should start within about 30 seconds. It will also trip the check engine light, but it will go out when you plug the sensor back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AIR pump disable procedure is only for the AIR pump. It has no effect on the cooling fan operation. I was answering your question about why your pump wasn't running with that.

Why are you so concerned about the cooling fans? Is your car overheating? A quick test of the cooling fans is to unhook the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor at the front of the water pump with the car running. Both fans should start within about 30 seconds. It will also trip the check engine light, but it will go out when you plug the sensor back in.
I unhook the (ECT) sensor and the primary fan turns on the other one stays off.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The connector you unplugged can be replaced with a new plug and two wire assembly that is referred to as a pigtail. Its a service component.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/SearchByEngineType.aspx

The issue with only the one fan working can be further troubleshot by removing the fan relays from the underhood electrical panel and testing the pins to determine if the relay or another fault exists in the circuitry.

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The connector you unplugged can be replaced with a new plug and two wire assembly that is referred to as a pigtail. Its a service component.

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/SearchByEngineType.aspx

The issue with only the one fan working can be further troubleshot by removing the fan relays from the underhood electrical panel and testing the pins to determine if the relay or another fault exists in the circuitry.

Chris
How do I know which pins are supost to have curent.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
First, switch the relays and do the test again by disconnecting the pigtail. If the other fan comes on, then the relay is bad and needs to be replaced. If the same fan comes on, then the likely problem is a bad fan motor. The good news is that they are not expensive and are easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hmmm

Interesting...just started driving the Fleet again and noticed the other day only one fan was on. I wondered if they came on at different temps cwm4. Are the fan relays labeled as such under the hood?
I may just try to pull the ECT sensor (new by the way) to see what happens

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Ect

A quick test of the cooling fans is to unhook the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor at the front of the water pump with the car running. Both fans should start within about 30 seconds.
UPDATE: Just went outside to try this as it's been bothering me for days.
Disconnected the ECT sensor and w/in a few secs the fan on pass. side started first, followed by the second one. :D
Connected the sensor back and after a few seconds the second fan turned off and the first remained on a little longer.

Switched the relays (ORANGE color - 40) for the heck of it too. Now, I do still have a question, are they supposed to come on at different times or at the same time?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
That's the way it is supposed to work. Nothing appears to be wrong.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First, switch the relays and do the test again by disconnecting the pigtail. If the other fan comes on, then the relay is bad and needs to be replaced. If the same fan comes on, then the likely problem is a bad fan motor. The good news is that they are not expensive and are easy to replace.
I did what you said I switch the relays and the same one still came on (passenger) I know the fan motor works on the other one I tested it with the battery and it comes on.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I did what you said I switch the relays and the same one still came on (passenger) I know the fan motor works on the other one I tested it with the battery and it comes on.
Check the relay contacts in the underhood electrical center. If they look burned, Gary at Innovative Wiring makes a fan relay relocation kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts