Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything unusual about installing a double din nav unit into the fleetwoods? I know the ss's need the detailss kit for it in their cars, but what about the fleetwoods?

·
Registered
778 Posts
IIRC, Fleetwoods are actually TRUE double DIN sized.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC, Fleetwoods are actually TRUE double DIN sized.
I belive they are also, but do they make a kit for an aftermarket stereo, like the ones at walmart, with the brackets or how would you go about it?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
T T T

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I was trying to order a double din unit (just a receiver, no nav), and the guy said it won't fit in the car because there's only about 6" of depth. Does something need to be modified to make a double din fit, or should it just bolt right in?

Also, I had seen people post a link to installer.com for the harness at $48.50. Crutchfield said it would be like $20 w/ purchase of a deck.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I saw a Fleetwood installation kit. Do I need to get one to creat clearance? I'm hearing that the HVAC tube or wiring may be in the way. Anybody have details before I get surprised?

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
I thought there was a post/thread on this site that gave a little detail on heating and massaging the duct behind the unit. I did a cursory search and didn't find it...

I have yet to do my change, but the claim is all aftermarket units stick out about an inch because of that duct(although a couple guys have claimed they had no problem). If that's it then it seems like an easy enough fix, even if one had to RotoZip out a section and epoxy in a new/reformed piece.

Pull the head unit and measure the depth...and get some pics.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't find any thread other than what you see here, and the related topic in the Fleetwood section, so I bumped both.

I had an aftermarket deck (single din) installed in one of my Fleetwoods probably about 10 years ago now, and they didn't say that there were any specific problems other than the double to single conversion and there not being a proper fitting mount kit at the time. I've heard differing stories about this, however, from threads on this forum and others. Between the vent duct and the HVAC wiring harness, I hear that there's the possibility of obstruction. Other people say "no problem."

I'll keep this going, and hopefully somebody can chime in with some details. Otherwise, I guess I'll be winging it this weekend when/if I start to tackle the job on Saturday (if time and weather permit). :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Excuse the delay is responding again. I put in a Kenwood that's MORE than 6 inches deep with NO PROBLEM. And it does not stick out 1mm much less 1 inch. I used the metra kit for the trim and the wiring. And to be exactly accurate it was the Kenwood DPX-501 look up the stats but I recall it being 6.2 inches deep and a true double din. I am waiting to see Pioneer's APP radio before I decide between the Alpine (either the discontinued Alpine IXA-W407 or the new IVA-W505) or the new Clarion NX501 [this is 6.8 inches so I will be checking for clearance just in case].

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had a double din kenwood in mine too... no kit needed really just used some pieces of band iron to make little ears off the side of the double din and it worked... There is a harness that runs directly behind the radio in a bracket. I simply yanked it and let it run under the radio. there was plenty of room after that.... I'll find a pic...

Edit: No wiat I think I did use a kit... gmk420 kit i think from american international

1 - 12 of 12 Posts