Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '94 Fleetwood (I call it my Cadillac XXL!) needs a new exhaust from the cats back. I've heard that many things that fit the Impala SS also fit the Fleetwood, with some modification (lengthening exhaust pipes for instance).

Anyone have recommendations on kits, or what I should be running? Looking for maybe a little more throaty noise from it, but not for anything too crazy (I like it as a quiet, luxocruiser).

Thanks!

-Aaron

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
My Sig. Any SS catback works. Just add a 6" H- or X-pipe. I hear Dynomax is a teeny quieter.

Oh yah, Welcome Mr. 1st Ever Post!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've had a few different configurations on mine.

- Mufflers removed and replaced with straight pipes - loud but not as loud as you would think due to the resonators and the length of the exhaust

- 40 series flowmaster mufflers, remainder of exhaust stock - sounded nice, but depending on what gears you have, may still be a little noisy on the highway. Mine had a little drone until I was going over 75 mph

- Generic turbo mufflers, remainder of exhaust stock - only slightly louder than stock at idle, sounded nice at higher RPM's. Sounds like a more performance oriented OEM exhaust (think 4th generation F-body)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
A Fleetwood is within an inch as long as a Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade.
Therefore Fleetwoods are not XXL, just XL.
Limos are XXL.

Anyway, for minimal investment, simply swap out your incredibly restrictive mufflers for a pair of [your choice]. For starters, 2 DynoMax Turbos will only set you back $100.
Take a look.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I've had a few different configurations on mine.

- Mufflers removed and replaced with straight pipes - loud but not as loud as you would think due to the resonators and the length of the exhaust
I've been considering thjs on my 94 fwb, I did it on my 95 caprice but it had the l99 and I removed the resonators, it was nice till you got above 70mph, but I dont do the highway too often

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I put Walker Dynomax Super Turbo's on my Lincoln and got approx. 10 years, 100,000 miles out of them. I am now on my second set. I also put them on my rarely driven, 79 trans Am. (Stock pipes on both cars).

IMO they sound great, little rumble at idle and accell, quiet at cruise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I put 2.5" to 2.25" with generic turbos in my Roadmaster, sounds sweet. I did the same thing to my Fleetwood except added an X-pipe. The X-pipe causes droning that I do not experience with the Roadmaster.

When I get around to it, I am going to remove the X-pipe. It is my first car with an X-pipe, and it is the ONLY car I ever had (having had 70 cars in my life) that has this droning problem. No more X-pipes for me please.

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Have Grot long tubes, 3" to a Pypes X, 3" to a pair of Aerochambers and 2.5 over the axle on the green Fleet. Same, minus the headers for now, on the black one. All thx to the local exhaust shop.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
what is the correct inlet and outlet size for the muffler?
Dated response, 2 1/4 inlet and 2" outlet is stock, at least for the FWB. There is no single 'correct' for anything aftermarket.

Lacking serious motor mods I'd favor Scatterbrane's sizes on any next new system, but with an H- as more than adequate for my purposes, much cheaper than an X-, and way more installation-friendly. And some sort of resonators if on any Cady.

ScottLC appears to have my current setup, but on steroids. And there's a lot to be said with dumping off a complete setup of chosen new parts at your local exhaust shop (not necessarily a chain) and letting them work their magic.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dated response, 2 1/4 inlet and 2" outlet is stock, at least for the FWB. There is no single 'correct' for anything aftermarket.

Lacking serious motor mods I'd favor Scatterbrane's sizes on any next new system, but with an H- as more than adequate for my purposes, much cheaper than an X-, and way more installation-friendly. And some sort of resonators if on any Cady.

ScottLC appears to have my current setup, but on steroids. And there's a lot to be said with dumping off a complete setup of chosen new parts at your local exhaust shop (not necessarily a chain) and letting them work their magic.
I ended up getting a pair of cherry bomb voryex from summit, they were 2.5 in 2.25 out, I kept stock cats but removed the resonators, not the sound I was hoping for kinda quiet, gonna order a set of summit 2 chambers soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts