Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a little new to the Fleetwood’s and have a question about one of the options.
I’ve noticed that when I lift any of the door handles even when locked the Interior lights turn on. Where is this module and does anyone know if it can be incorporated into the Impala?

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I’m a little new to the Fleetwood’s and have a question about one of the options.
I’ve noticed that when I lift any of the door handles even when locked the Interior lights turn on. Where is this module and does anyone know if it can be incorporated into the Impala?

Sick idea,

Subscribed.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Courtesy lamps are controlled by the central control module (CCM), located in the trunk. It would take a lot of work to incorporate this into a B-body. You'd have to graft in the D-body wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
It makes me mad that GM did not put this on the Impala or Caprices. What would it have cost them to add this option?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cletus284,
My ADD wouldn’t let me complete the harness grafting for years and I hate wiring. What is different about the door handles of a Fleetwood that actually sends a command to turn on the lights, there must be something that tells the CCM that the handle was lifted. I’m basically fishing for an alternative way to make this work...

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Thanks cletus284,
What is different about the door handles of a Fleetwood that actually sends a command to turn on the lights, there must be something that tells the CCM that the handle was lifted. I’m basically fishing for an alternative way to make this work...
Yes, this is different from the B-bodies. Where B-bodies use door jamb plunger switches to activate the interior lights, D-bodies use mini-wedge switches in the door handles. Whenever the handle is lifted, the switch closes, sending voltage to the CCM and 'waking it up', and it will ground the illuminated entry circuit for 30 seconds after all doors are closed or until the ignition key is turned to 'run', whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Yes, this is different from the B-bodies. Where B-bodies use door jamb plunger switches to activate the interior lights, D-bodies use mini-wedge switches in the door handles. Whenever the handle is lifted, the switch closes, sending voltage to the CCM and 'waking it up', and it will ground the illuminated entry circuit for 30 seconds after all doors are closed or until the ignition key is turned to 'run', whichever occurs first.

So basically if I get a signal off my door handles, to go to my ilumination circut. Then I could replicate this process?

BTW, I have a 30 second Fade off delay box in my car now :D

Made by Goldsswagon.

HMMM, that wouldnt be hard at all.

Pics of the handles or plungers that the Fleetwood's have internally?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
So basically if I get a signal off my door handles, to go to my ilumination circut. Then I could replicate this process?

Pics of the handles or plungers that the Fleetwood's have internally?
I BELIEVE (I don't know this for a fact) that the mini-wedge switches are only momentary. The CCM gets the signal that someone has pulled on the handle, then leaves the lights on until it times out or it gets the signal that the door is closed. There's quite a schematic in the D-body FSM for this setup.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I BELIEVE (I don't know this for a fact) that the mini-wedge switches are only momentary. The CCM gets the signal that someone has pulled on the handle, then leaves the lights on until it times out or it gets the signal that the door is closed. There's quite a schematic in the D-body FSM for this setup.

I talked to Goldsswagon he came up with an idea I like alot.

Its an RFID that can control anything.

I could make a keyless entry, or a keyless start like new luxury cars.

Trying to think of how I can incorporate it into my car now..........

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiosity, does the CCM also control the feature that allows the radio to remain on when the engine is shut off until you open the door?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just out of curiosity, does the CCM also control the feature that allows the radio to remain on when the engine is shut off until you open the door?
Yes. It's called Retained Accessory Power (RAP).

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
It makes me mad that GM did not put this on the Impala or Caprices. What would it have cost them to add this option?
It's part of the idea of a luxury car (Cadillac) vs a grocery getter (Chevrolet). If you could buy a Chevy that was identical to a Caddy why would anyone buy the Caddy other than the name? This is what almost killed Cadillac in the 70's, trying to be the "every man's luxury car" and becoming nothing more than a Chevy with a wreath and crest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts