Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a new steering dampener for my '95 Fleetwood as the original is probably shot and is definitely leaking hydraulic fluid.

Is there any major difference between the various brands besides price? I know Monroe is always a cheapie with parts. Here are some links below of the various shocks I've found.

Buy cheap and save my money or buy once cry one for some fantastic performance/longevity with the Moog??

Any others I should look at? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Though of marginal utility in the first place, Cady, Buick and perhaps other divisions used them due to their blu-hair demographic types 'feeling' like they felt uneasiness in the wheel over bumps. It's more a Princess And The Pea issue at best, and strongly suspect a patch to mask affected ride with worn other steering components.

That said, any new dampener regardless the cost or brand will function measurably better than a leaky original one. When I redid my entire front end I went with Moog for brand continuity, and though costing a bit more than the cheapest I can amortize the depreciation of the difference over however many years (or decades) I'll have the car.

Cliffs: Buy any brand or cost dampener that produces mental satisfaction, as the car likely couldn't care less. What is immensely more important is replacing literally every other steering and suspension component up front before that one.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Though of marginal utility in the first place, Cady, Buick and perhaps other divisions used them due to their blu-hair demographic types 'feeling' like they felt uneasiness in the wheel over bumps. It's more a Princess And The Pea issue at best, and strongly suspect a patch to mask affected ride with worn other steering components.

That said, any new dampener regardless the cost or brand will function measurably better than a leaky original one. When I redid my entire front end I went with Moog for brand continuity, and though costing a bit more than the cheapest I can amortize the depreciation of the difference over however many years (or decades) I'll have the car.

Cliffs: Buy any brand or cost dampener that produces mental satisfaction, as the car likely couldn't care less. What is immensely more important is replacing literally every other steering and suspension component up front before that one.
As always, thanks for a detailed response. I understand why you went with Moog. Monroe is so cheap.

Does Moog still hold a lot of value in your mind or is it name brand stuff?

On a side note, didn't you firm up the suspension in your car a fair bit? I would be interested in looking at mine sometime soon (other irons in the immediate fire) as mine is OEM from 1995 - albeit the car has less than 70k miles.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts
"damper"... a "dampener" makes things slightly wet ;-)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Anyone besides Monroe & Moog making steering dampers for Roadmasters & Fleetwoods anymore?

To paraphrase 'Fix Until Broke's idea … because it truly bears repeating …
Drive without the steering damper while you research the alternatives.
If those are the only two, then it'll probably be enough time to find out if Moog is really worth the extra $.

Meanwhile you will find out whether or not you miss it.

(On a related-but-separate note, in the 16+ years I've been on here, I cannot recall one person who regretted quickening their steering box ratio.)

Reactions: Caddyshack95

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I replaced the steering damper on the Roadmaster wagon once, because it was a factory part. When it failed again, I had been driving with a blown damper for a while before I noticed. I decided that I was perfectly happy with the steering without a working damper. I took it off and never replaced it. So far as I can tell, the only effect of removing it is that the power steering pump doesn't have to work as hard.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting about the PS not working as hard...

There is probably a reason they installed one, but as @96 Black mentioned above, the stodgy crowd is who it was meant for.

Quick steering box is still in the works, just have to work through some of the issues here :)

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
1,781 Posts
Maybe try removing the old one and drive it for a couple weeks to see if you want to replace it at all?
This.

If you are trying to improve handling by adding a quick-ratio steering box and BMR sway bars, then chuck that damper in the garbage and don't look back. Use the mounting holes for cooking hot dogs on long road trips.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This.

If you are trying to improve handling by adding a quick-ratio steering box and BMR sway bars, then chuck that damper in the garbage and don't look back. Use the mounting holes for cooking hot dogs on long road trips.

Hahaha. I will take it off and see how it drives without it.

Will report back with findings when it's done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts